Go Down

Topic: a warning about Lipos (Read 596 times) previous topic - next topic

SteNull

I see some people here are using lipos, so I thought I should share my knowledge about these batteries.

Lipos could be dangerous if treated wrong. Lipos should newer get over 4.2V per cell and never go under 3.7V. you should always keep them in a fire proof place, there is special lipo bags. Even with the new more stable formula that's out now u should be careful.

And also i recommend to put some money in a nice lipo charger it prolongs the battery life alot, i have a iCharger 106B-plus and are very pleased with it, it's for 1 to 6 cell lipos with a heat protection. and it can charge the new 5C 3cells 2.2Ah easily 5C*2.2Ah=11A*12=132W  :P should charge and balance in 15-20 min.
Maybe little overkill  ;D

Respect your lipos there is alot of energy stored in those.

SteNull

Here u can see what's could happen if mistreated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw

mem

Quote
Lipos should newer get over 4.2V per cell and never go under 3.7V.
3.7 volts is the nominal voltage of a LiPo cell, 3.0 volts is the usual minimum recommended voltage.

SteNull

Quote

3.7 volts is the nominal voltage of a LiPo cell, 3.0 volts is the usual minimum recommended voltage.


Yes its true, but if u keep in 4.2V to 3.7V the battery will have a much longer life. and dropping under 3V is really bad for the battery and could result in swollen cells.

capt.tagon

#4
Aug 31, 2009, 02:07 am Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009, 02:11 am by Sean Reason: 1
Lithium Batteries:

Know what kind you have LiPoly, LiIon, etc. Have the proper battery charger for that particular lithium battery family.

Get a ceramic bread pan and put the battery in it while charging.

Dispose of batteries that start to bloat.

Having the proper battery charger is not a panacea, my boss nearly burnt his garage down with a LiPoly on the approved charger with cell balancer, the breadpan would have prevented a lot of damage and reduced it to mostly smoke damage.

One of the local RC guys burned his van to the ground, the Li-Ion battery was left on the seat, caught the seat on fire and then the rest of the contents, balsa and monokote burn nicely, add a gallon or two of alcohol fuel and the rest is history. Not sure if he was using the proper charger or not.

SteNull

Yes capt.tagon! That was my point. people have lost there homes because of bad handling of lipos. a proper charger is only one step from being safe. A lipo safe bag is another and never leaving a charging battery unattended is also important.
Lipos are sensitive to overcharging, so if the charger is bad it maybe stops at 4.25 per cell, and that could be enough to make it burn.

keep it safe kids  8-)

Go Up