Go Down

Topic: Multiple key presses using built in USB keyboard library? (Read 194 times) previous topic - next topic

smartroad

I have brought myself an Arduino Micro to make a SNES joypad to USB converter for my RetroPie rig. The problem that I am hitting is the built in keyboard library not allowing more than one key to be pressed at a time (ignoring modifier keys).

I reckon that for the two SNES pads I would need to be able to send at least 12 buttons simultaneously (2 directional, two fire buttons and 2 shoulder buttons for each pad) going to an ideal of 16 to allow all 4 fire buttons to be pressed. I had looked at the Teensy as that does say it can send 6 keypresses simultaneously, I had hoped that the keyboard.pressed() and keyboard.release() would have offered the same functionality, but when you call another key to be pressed it releases the previous one.

During my investigation I have also found a couple of libraries that would allow the Arduino to be a joystick directly, however these seem to only be setup for those Arduino's with the second processor for USB communications. I have no idea on how to make them compatible with the Micro (or Leonardo).

I am at a loss as to how to proceed now and would appreciate any assistance.

smartroad

I have found a hack to enable a joystick with the Micro :) http://www.imaginaryindustries.com/blog/?p=80

Works well, although you seem to loose keyboard functionality as a result, or I am doing something wrong!

Go Up