Go Down

Topic: MLX90614ESF-AAA (Read 683 times) previous topic - next topic

arduinoPi

I just bought this sensor
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1061
I programed it and it works great.
The only thing I notice is that it has a wide viewing angle and averages all the temperatures so if there is something really hot but small like a candle flame it doesn't really provide the true temperature unless it is about an inch away. is there anyway to decrease it's field of view? could a lens be used?

thank you for you help.

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

arduinoPi

I tried that and it averages the area that is covered with the area of the slit so a 200 degree light bulb registered at 80 degrees at 2 inches.

PeterH

If you can find something that reflects infrared then you could put a parabolic reflector behind the sensor (and turn the sensor back to front). I'm not sure where you'd find a suitable reflector though - perhaps you could find a reflective lamp bulb that reflects IR well? I'm not sure how easy those would be to find, but if all else fails I know that IR reflector lamps do exist.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

cyon

This is an old topic, but, felt it was worth noting that this IR sensor comes in different versions including FOV. As I ran into the same issues as the OP.

The AAA designates which of the features it has, so AAA: 5v-Single Zone-Standard Package (which is 35°)

(1) Supply Voltage/ Accuracy
A - 5V
B - 3V
C - Reserved
D - 3V medical accuracy

(2) Number of thermopiles:
A - single zone
B - dual zone
C - gradient compensated*

(3) Package options:
A - Standard package
B - Reserved