Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
Author Topic: Closed (ouch) or Open Hardware new Uno's ?  (Read 14242 times)
Pullman, WA
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Oh, for the good old universally available RS232 and LPT ports...why did computer makers ever quit making them, all we really needed was a smaller connector. A lot of chipsets actually still have them, they just aren't enabled in BIOS or wired out to anywhere.

Maybe I'll develop an Arduino that bootloads via punch cards.

Wearable Arduino-compatible LED matrix glasses: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/macetech/rgb-led-shades

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ah LPT - happy days indeed!!! smiley-grin

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

Maybe I'll develop an Arduino that bootloads via punch cards.

oh dont be silly, use cassette tape

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

oh dont be silly, use cassette tape
I would buy that. I'm not even joking.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Well I had my PC custom built (Intel E7200) less then two years ago and the builder had no problem locating and installing a I/O board that had two serial and one par port.

Lefty

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:31:41 pm by retrolefty » Logged

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I bought a couple PCI cards with 2 serial ports and a lpt for 10$ each a few months ago

looks like you can get pci-x 1x cards for under 20

honestly though every pc in my house has at least 1 serial port and a printer port as new as last year

Milan
Edison Member
gioblu.com
View Profile

Wow good idea. Create something that represents our group...
A social union could give us some advantage and the possibility to have a say.

Community robotica / programmazione Arduino
www.gioblu.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

every pc in my house has at least 1 serial port
It's been at least a decade since any of our Macs have had serial ports, and they NEVER had serial ports that were cable compatible with PCs...

There are a lot of good reasons why USB is the way it is, and a lot of other good reasons that serial ports have (nearly) disappeared.  Even the Arduino Serial was replaced by a USB version long before serial ports become uncommon...

Just <expletive> the requirements and cheat if you really want to.  That's what happened to parallel and serial, and one of the reasons that USB is so tightly controlled (because cheating eventually leads to support nightmares.)  If serial had been as strongly regulated as USB, we'd still have 25pin cables limited to 19200bps at 7 meters (and they still wouldn't work 40% of the time...)

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I already pointed out that if we created a recognised organisation then the only people who'd be able to use the VID/PIDs would have to be part of that group.
Yes but we as an 'organisation', people who were not initially part of the consortium could join and then be classed as a member of the 'organisation'.

Basically, we create some kind of group. Anyone who needs/wants a PID joins this group. Whether they join before or after we get a VID, it wouldn't matter, they would still then be classed as part of the consortium.

Mowcius

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes but we as an 'organisation', people who were not initially part of the consortium could join and then be classed as a member of the 'organisation'.
It does... but that brings with it extra problems regarding the group's operation.

We'd need to decide whether that is a deal-breaker, or whether if it came to it, we're really just in it for the interests of the people joining at the outset.

Chennai, India
God Member
Peace!!!
View Profile

perhaps fixing the mcp2200 driver issues might be easier... assuming that we can generate enough programming / tweaking muscle power, perhaps we can fix the driver issues.... just a thought... though i dont have a clue as to how device drivers work smiley-wink

Be The Change...

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Why not ask the Arduino guys if they are willing to sell the 8u2 IC's to individuals?  Example:

Let's say there are 100 companies/people out there that want to manufacture clone variants of the Arduino and each company has 10 different product lines.  Using arbitrary numbers, let's say the Arduino guys buy the IC's from Atmel at a cost of $1 per 1000 units.  Each of the companies agrees to purchase their 8u2 inventory from Arduino at a cost of $1.20 per 1000 units.  Depending on what product the 8u2 is going into it will have a different part number from Arduino.  Each part number has a specific PID.  Arduino makes a small profit and the clone variant companies can incorporate the IC into their respective designs.  It would have to be on the "honor system" but Arduino could simply put a link on their page that shows all of the companies that are selling clones with "official Arduino serial interfaces" built in. Each company can also make the same claim when they sell their items.  

This way they are not selling a VID or giving it away, they are actually selling several different "revisions" of a USB to Serial converter.

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

LOS GATOS, CA, USA
The TinkerTech Blog and the MusheenShop
View Profile

They can sell all the chips, they can get their hands on, but they are barred by the USB-IF rules from including the PID unless they are manufacturing the product.

As eight stated earlier, thats the standing of the USB-IF not the Arduino team, the VID/PID can only be used by the manufacturer who is licensed to the original, there is no "subleasing"

BOZ

LOS GATOS, CA, USA
The TinkerTech Blog and the MusheenShop
View Profile

And again, all of the pid issues are moot, there is no blocking point in reality, just in the panicked conceptualization of what if or maybe this could mean.

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

They would be selling a product.  The 8u2 from Atmel is a just a microcontroller IC.  Business A wants to purchase a USB to serial interface device to use in his Spankduino variant. Arduino sells a product called a "USB to Serial converter".  There are several different part numbers for this converter (each part number is associated with a different PID).  We purchase the converter (which is just the IC with the bootloader loaded) and put it into our existing design.  

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
Jump to: