Go Down

Topic: Closed (ouch) or Open Hardware new Uno's ? (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic

CowJam

I'm thinking right now of the R2Duino, which I love. A simple, small Arduino with two built-in relays. I want guys to be able to produce stuff like this... and for it to work without too much hassle at my end. (As it does now). If they're forced to either find the skills to integrate their own FTDI/Serial method (instead of being able to use the "source" schematics and tweak the bits they can) OR to pay $2000 for their own vID/pID then it's going to impact the ability of the little guys to produce these unique variations.

Firstly, when I had a quick look I couldn't see any difference between the duemilanove and the uno other than the switch from FTDI to this new thing.  So, if I were creating a clone I can't really see the benefit of switching from something I'm already using and know works problem free to a new thing whose main difference is that it'll cost me $2k.
Secondly, as we've already seen it's unlikely to cost $2k given three of us had the idea of purchasing a community VID straight away.  Given the size and strenth of the arduino community I can't see a problem with us raising $2k beyond the who collects it and then who adminsitrates the VID.

Eight

Sep 27, 2010, 12:52 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010, 12:54 pm by Eight Reason: 1
So, if I were creating a clone I can't really see the benefit of switching from something I'm already using and know works problem free to a new thing whose main difference is that it'll cost me $2k.

Oh I agree - I'm thinking a little way down the line. When the Duemilanove etc. has long been forgotten or where basing projects on the newer platforms is preferred.

mowcius

Sep 27, 2010, 12:57 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010, 12:58 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
Oh I agree - I'm thinking a little way down the line. When the Duemilanove etc. has long been forgotten or where basing projects on the newer platforms is preferred.

Well I'd like to see the end of the having to remember serial ports eventually but I think (like the weird arduino header spacing), the serial port selection will stay (just maybe be more hidden on future versions).

Korman

What is gained by running around in panic like headless chicken?
  • For one, about what chip are we talking about? Are we talking about the Atmega8U2 that replaces the FTDI chip or the Atmega328 at the core. Which one needs the USB-VID? If it's the USB-driver, what's the difference with the current situation, where everyone uses the ID from FTDI?
  • Second, you all have no clue how USB-IDs clones are going to be handled.
  • Third, if some collective is forking out money for an USB-VID, how do you know they behave more sensibly than the Arduino group? Going by the general panic expressed in this thread, I put more faith into the Arduino crew.
  • Forth, do you know if you're even allowed by the USB consortium sellign the VID to hand out PIDs to others? If I remember correctly, there were a few vendors selling single PIDs, but that has stopped. And it certainly wasn't because the need for such a service disappeared.

So please, engage whatever is sloshing around between your ears and stop the panic-mongering.

Korman

CowJam

What is gained by running around in panic like headless chicken?

If you worked where I worked you'd be glad of the excitement.

Go Up