Go Down

Topic: Ping sensor (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

Kegan

Hello to the Arduino Community! I hope to learn ALOT here.
First, a newbie question about ultrasonics - If I were to remove the casing on the Ping sensor, would it allow a wider, but more shallow field?
I assume the distance between the two sensor is part of the calibration of its sensing field, but could I make them more low profile and wider metal cylinders [perhaps reducing its detection field (which is ok)]?
Thanks!

AWOL

Have you tried the Ping sensor forum?

(my guess is that is simply would stop working, but that is really just a guess)
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Kegan

Thanks AWOL! Posted there too.
I guess more of a theory question- as in, anyone know if it is possible?

teckel

Have you tried the Ping sensor forum?

(my guess is that is simply would stop working, but that is really just a guess)

There's a Ping sensor forum?  Where?

Tim
Arduino - Teensy - Raspberry Pi
My libraries: NewPing - LCDBitmap - toneAC - NewTone - TimerFreeTone

Mr_Blah

I suppose if you made the 2 metal cans on the ultrasonic sensor wider it would allow a wider detection area, but its range would be shorter since it would be more spread out. If you removed the cans altogether it wouldn't work because the cans are necessary to isolate the emitter and detector. No isolation would cause the ultrasonic output to feed directly into the input and it wouldn't detect anything.

Go Up