Go Down

Topic: Need help with finding a buzzer / audio device (Read 537 times) previous topic - next topic

kasperhangard

Hello guys. i need help with finding some sort of audio device for a project. what i need is a buzzer which i can use with my arduino uno. i don't know alot about electronics so i hoped you could help me? :)

we have limited websites to choose components from in denmark, so i have two different buzzers. which one should i pick, or do you have a better idea for a buzzer / audio device. it just has to be able to make a beep sound.

should i choose this:
Buzzer PCB continuous tone 12Vdc 97dB
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0f2a/0900766b80f2a587.pdf

or this?
Buzzer PCB 75dB 3000Hz 1.5-24Vdc
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/009c/0900766b8009c28c.pdf

the main thing is that i see they are AC right? will that work with arduino?
sorry for being a noob :)

DVDdoug

It looks like either of those will work.

the main thing is that i see they are AC right? will that work with arduino?
Let's start with this:   An  Arduino digital output-pin puts-out (about) 5VDC when on and (about) 0V when off.  The I/O pins are rated for 40mA maximum, and the actual current depends on the impedance/resistance of the "load" that you connect (Ohm's Law).

What you need is a piezo device that works at 5V and "draws" less than 40mA.

There are two types of "noise making' pizeo devices.   A DC piezo buzzer  has a sound generating circuit built-in.   You simply apply a DC voltage and it makes noise.

A piezo transducer is like an audio speaker, and you need to apply an AC signal.   

You can use either one with the Arduino.   Of course, a buzzer is slightly  easier to use.   A transducer requires you to provide an "AC" signal.   You can generate a 5V, 2kHz square wave by switching the Arduino's output pin on-and-off 2000 times per second (easy to do in software).   The advantage is that with the Arduino generating the signal, you can control the frequency (pitch).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy