Go Down

Topic: Hacking a Roomba's button panel (Read 700 times) previous topic - next topic

allanonmage

I've got a Roomba 4000 based project I am working on and would like some advice.  I have removed the normal button interface because I needed the space on the robot.  However, after working with this for a while, I realize I would like to have either a battery kill switch or the button panel back to save me the hassle of pulling the battery whenever the Roomba gets confused or cranky.

I kinda mapped out the pins on the button panel, but I see a bunch of resisters in the corner, so I'm a little leery to just go shorting pins with a contact switch without asking for advice.

I don't have a blog or anything (I suppose I should get one started lol), but my latest update on my project is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5YBZfYZ5s

Although that was yesterday before I really got into it; I've made some good progress on it.  For example I can move the arm with the PS3 controller now :D  Well 2 of the motors in the arm at least.

Do you think I could just short pins 8 and 9 and be ok for making a new power button?  I wasn't able to get a good feel for how the resistors were connected.

patduino

Hi allenonmage,

I can't answer your question, but I can say that I'm impressed with your project.

I'm looking forward to future posts showing your progress.

Pat.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

allanonmage

Dec 30, 2012, 04:14 am Last Edit: Dec 30, 2012, 04:16 am by allanonmage Reason: 1

... I can say that I'm impressed with your project.

I'm looking forward to future posts showing your progress.

Pat.

Thanks!

I started testing a little bit more and who knew the continuity tester function of the volt meter would tell me how to turn on the LEDs?! lol...

See attached for my new notes.

I know that one of the pins puts out voltage, but I'd have to connect the connector and I just realized that i screwed it together last week :-/

So next is trying to figure out how to orient LEDs to not fry them.  Maybe... I might leave feedback to the Arduino and serial interface and just have the power button to the Roomba.  But the power LED is so close... But it's 2 colors... ah complicated stuffs

Go Up