Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: WiFi Shield + arduino uno, can't get it to work  (Read 2134 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I am new to arduino and try to get the wifi shield v.1.0 (3/27/2012) to work.
Arduino 1.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.5.8 does find the TCP xample in the Sketchbook files, does also find the libraries path Arduino/libraries/, but does not read the WiFly.h etc.

The Error msg upon compiling:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=103 -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/variants/standard -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/SoftwareSerial /var/folders/6d/6d+RPaKFHtOawWI5h+drJU+++TI/-Tmp-/build76399733772759409.tmp/TCP.cpp -o /var/folders/6d/6d+RPaKFHtOawWI5h+drJU+++TI/-Tmp-/build76399733772759409.tmp/TCP.cpp.o
TCP.ino:1:19: error: Wifly.h: No such file or directory
TCP:3: error: 'WiflyClass' does not name a type
TCP.ino: In function 'void setup()':
TCP:8: error: 'Wifly' was not declared in this scope
TCP.ino: In function 'void loop()':
TCP:17: error: 'Wifly' was not declared in this scope
TCP:23: error: 'Wifly' was not declared in this scope

When I use WiFi ConnectWithWPA from the Example sketches instead, Arduino returns "WiFi shield not present"

What am I missing? :?: Thx for help!

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

TCP.ino:1:19: error: Wifly.h: No such file or directory

What am I missing? :?: Thx for help!

Looks like you are missing the Wifly library.  Did you download it and put it in a folder called Wifly in the 'libraries' folder of your sketch folder?  Did you then re-start the Arduino IDE?

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

Thank you, solved it: I had WiFly.h instead of Wifly.h, -- a capital letter did the trick. sorry for bothering, I had tried a lot...--
 It still gives me a million error messages, so I will come back here for sure...  smiley-kitty

View Profile

-and this is my next hurdle (Arduino Uno, WiFi Shield v1.0 by seeed studio, Mac OS 10.5.8 ) smiley-confuse
I still cannot compile /WiFly/examples/TCP.ino
ErrorMsg is:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=103 -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/variants/standard -I/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/SoftwareSerial /var/folders/6d/6d+RPaKFHtOawWI5h+drJU+++TI/-Tmp-/build5496097974046204780.tmp/TCP.cpp -o /var/folders/6d/6d+RPaKFHtOawWI5h+drJU+++TI/-Tmp-/build5496097974046204780.tmp/TCP.cpp.o
In file included from TCP.ino:1:
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:1: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:1: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:2: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:2: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:3: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:3: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:4: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:5: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:5: error: stray '\' in program
In file included from TCP.ino:1:
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:5:51: warning: missing terminating ' character
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:5: error: missing terminating ' character
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:6: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:6: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:7: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:8: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:8: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:10: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:10: error: stray '\' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:10: error: stray '#' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:10:34: warning: backslash-newline at end of file
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:10: error: stray '#' in program
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:20:1: warning: multi-line comment
/Users/.../Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFly/Wifly.h:1: error: expected unqualified-id before '{' token

There is no backslash in the code of Wifly.h - can someone help me, please? Thank you!

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Are you sure you have the right library?  The SparkFun page (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9954) points to two different libraries.  One is called "Experimental WiFly Arduino Library" so I tried the other one, called "WiFly Library (Arduino 1.0)": https://github.com/jmr13031/WiFly-Shield/tree/master/src/WiFly

The one I tried downloaded fine (as a .zip file).  I unpacked it and moved the "WiFly" directory to my libraries directory.  I re-started Arduino and was able to compile the "WiFly_WebServer" example without error.

Where did you get your WiFly library?

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

I am puzzled: to re-download the whole thing seemed to be the right thing - I got much further and am able to compile and upload now. So first of all: thank you!!
The "official" product wiki (http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Wifi_Shield_V1.0) shows a different resource, which I am not able to get working. But even with "your" libraries files and the included sketch SpiUartTerminal.pde, I get stuck with "attempting to connect to spi uart" on the Serial Monitor in indefinite loop. And the official site does not help, since they address code that does not work.
btw this hint was helpful to me: https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23498&start=90#p123513

View Profile

It took me a long time to get my Arduino and WiFly shield working also!  I did a three-part write-up and maybe this will help?

http://www.cc-logic.com/blog/posts/physical-computing-part-1-of-3-getting-wifi-working

Best of Luck,
Dave

View Profile

It took me a long time to get my Arduino and WiFly shield working also!  I did a three-part write-up and maybe this will help?

Thanks Dave, just read your write-up and I have identified two areas where I think My problem lies. I'll check in the morning to see if I'm right.

Cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: