Go Down

Topic: My i2c MCP23017 i/o expander is not working (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

centizen

As a christmas present I bought myself some MCP23017's (among other things) but I can't get it working. I am new to i2c in general; so i am probably making a simple mistake. I have been following this tutorial over at tronixstuff

Here is a picture of my wiring; since this picture was taken I've added two pull up resistors (2.2o) from both SDA and SCL to the reset pin which is tied to 5v. As well I have ensured that the LED works.

As well, this is the code which I am running on my Teensy2:
Code: [Select]

#include <Wire.h>

void setup(){
  Wire.begin();
  delay(100);
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x20);
  Wire.write(0x00);
  Wire.write(0x00);
  Wire.endTransmission();
  delay(100);
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x20);
  Wire.write(0x12);
  Wire.write(11111111);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

void loop(){

}

So any idea's? I'm pretty stuck here. Thanks!

Michael

redneckengineer

hey there,
try changing line Wire.write(11111111);   to Wire.write(B11111111); or Wire.write(255); or Wire.write(0xff);  i not a pro yet, but i think when u send binary you have to tell it somehow its birary.  when i ve played with i2c stuff the most common problem is having the address wrong  0x20 looks right but u can try 0x40 too.
i dont know if that helps,
red

Chrisatkazoo

Hi Centizen,

I recently had a similar project. Check out this post: http://christophhartel.com/arduino-io-expander-with-mcp23017-and-74hc4051/
At the bottom of the page I have included the code I wrote to drive two MCP23017 and two analog multiplexers with an Arduino Uno.
The Adafruit library for the MCP23017 makes programming really easy.

I hope this help.

Christoph

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy