Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: sending a motion command over serial  (Read 495 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,
I am relatively new to arduino, so please bear with me.  I have a stepper motor with built in motion control (IMS MDrive MDI23) I would like to control with my Arduino.  Normally, the command set for the stepper motor is given over an open serial port on the computer.  For example, to move the motor 5000 steps, the command would be "mr 5000" followed by a carriage return.  My question is, how do I get the arduino to send out that kind of command?  It would be a transmit only command i.e. there is no need for a receive command back.  I just need to transmit the commands.  Thanks
JOe

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Something simple, such as:

Serial.println ("mr 5000");

What is the electrical interface - do you need to be  a USB master, is it RS232 levels, is it simple TTL levels?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

I used your suggestion of Serial.println("mr 5000").  When I open the serial monitor tool in the arduino software, I see mr 5000 print out, but nothing is happening with my motor.  I am trying to communicate over rs485.  I have the rs485 shield on the uno, but no luck.  I am guessing it is a communications issue, but I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I am guessing it is a communications issue, but I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.
You could post links to the hardware in question, and a schematic, so that guessing wouldn't be required. It's up to you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: