Go Down

Topic: IR proximity sensor - questions (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

SierraWhiskey

Hi,

I'm planning to build an interactive LED-table based on iTead Studio's Colorduino. Instead of the RGB matrix module, I plan to connect common anode Superflux Piranha RGB LEDs.
In addition, I plan to use an 8x8 matrix of IR proximity sensors for interactivity.

The Arduino part is no problem. I have done a few smaller projects and I think I am reasonable fluent in Arduino C.
My problem is basic electronics. My last practical experience with basic electronics was about 22 years ago during school time.

What I wanna do is design small PCBs which hold the Piranha LED plus the IR sensor and have those PCBs made.

Now, the problem... How should I design the IR proximity sensor? The table should have a plate made of frosted or milk-glass.
How many IR emitters should I use for each sensor and how would I build it. I know how to design a basic detector with a photodiode but I'm uncertain about resistor values and in the net I have also seen examples using multiple photodiodes in some kind of voltage divider circuit.

That's what I have so far:

Next thing I'm uncertain of if the method. I was originally thinking of using analog ins (on a Mega2560), so I have also some distance value to tinker with in the code but I wonder if this makes sense at all - does this work through milk-glass?

I'd appreciate any comments or insights on those 2 issues.

-Stefan

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy