Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: DC Fan Help  (Read 1286 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You might need a capacitor to smooth out the output signal of the transistor, going to the motor. Just put a capacitor from the between the motor contacts, make sure you wire it correctly (polarized). It should get rid of any noise, unless the noise is not from the PWM but from a defect in the motor itself.

470uf should be more than enough.

thanks soo much that really worked smiley-grin sorry about everyones else suggestions didnt really help :/

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy Osbourne
View Profile

The simplest things can sometimes make the biggest differences.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:00:08 pm by HazardsMind » Logged

Created Libraries:
NPV2 (NewPasswordV2),  TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo.
Will provide libraries if asked in PM or forum.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

sorry about everyones else suggestions didnt really help :/

np, wont bother again

next time google + motors, good luck
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:59:40 am by Osgeld » Logged

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

You might need a capacitor to smooth out the output signal of the transistor, going to the motor. Just put a capacitor from the between the motor contacts, make sure you wire it correctly (polarized). It should get rid of any noise, unless the noise is not from the PWM but from a defect in the motor itself.

thanks soo much that really worked smiley-grin sorry about everyones else suggestions didnt really help :/

That solution has two problems: (a) you are probably exceeding the current rating of the transistor, because there will be a surge of current to charge the capacitor every time the transistor turns on; (b) you will probably find that you have only a small amount of control over the fan speed, it will mostly run near full speed.

If you want to control a PC-type fan, the best solution is to buy a 4-pin fan designed for PWM control. These have a separate PWM input. They are designed to work using a PWM frequency around 25KHz, so you need to increase the Arduino PWM frequency.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Edison Member
View Profile

Don't feel bad for others, feel bad for yourself for missing a good chance to learn.

View Profile

That solution has two problems: (a) you are probably exceeding the current rating of the transistor, because there will be a surge of current to charge the capacitor every time the transistor turns on; (b) you will probably find that you have only a small amount of control over the fan speed, it will mostly run near full speed.

If you want to control a PC-type fan, the best solution is to buy a 4-pin fan designed for PWM control. These have a separate PWM input. They are designed to work using a PWM frequency around 25KHz, so you need to increase the Arduino PWM frequency.

i do have one actually it was the one i was using in the first place smiley-razz i already set it up for pwm control however the pwm control of the fan has limits so i decided not to use it anymore and went back to the positive and negative side of the fan also about the transistor dont worry it has a current rating of 1 amp so dont worry yourself there bro smiley-lol i know my electronics its just i forget about these things sometimes ;P

The simplest things can sometimes make the biggest differences.

could not have said it better myself smiley-grin

np, wont bother again

next time google + motors, good luck

sheesh ill say thank you then for everyone who tried to help (i think i did already so sorry if i didnt smiley-sad i really did like everyones suggestions but i guess the capacitor one really did work for me smiley )

Don't feel bad for others, feel bad for yourself for missing a good chance to learn.

ive learnt alot from this experience thank you very much >:\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:48:38 pm by MadMatt » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: