Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 3.3 V regulator recommendation?  (Read 500 times)
New York
xronosclock.com
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Which voltage regulator would you recommend for SD/MicroSD card VCC power? My input is 5 Volts which powers ATMega644p, so I need to down-convert it to 3.3 Volts to supply power to MicroSD card.  Again this is just to VCC card, I already purchased CD4050BE HEX converter data voltage lines.
SMD or Thru the hole are both ok smiley Looking for most efficient one...

Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info smiley

Brasil
View Profile

I always use the "LM1117". Can output a maximum current of 800mA.
It's really easy to find in stores, exists in DIP and SMD models, and is really cheap.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1117-n.pdf

New York
xronosclock.com
View Profile

I always use the "LM1117". Can output a maximum current of 800mA.
It's really easy to find in stores, exists in DIP and SMD models, and is really cheap.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1117-n.pdf
Thanks! smiley  Looks like just what I need

Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info smiley

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

The LM1117 v.reg is a good choice, and I use them too. They say 800 mA, but you need to
also take into account power dissipation relative to actual load current for your app.

Take note of the Thermal Resistance, Junction to Case values shown on page 5 of the d/s.
Eg, the SOT-223 devices get almost 2X as hot as the others for the same load currents.

New York
xronosclock.com
View Profile

The LM1117 v.reg is a good choice, and I use them too. They say 800 mA, but you need to
also take into account power dissipation relative to actual load current for your app.

Take note of the Thermal Resistance, Junction to Case values shown on page 5 of the d/s.
Eg, the SOT-223 devices get almost 2X as hot as the others for the same load currents.

Thanks, that's good to know! I just ordered TO-220 package, so it should stay cooler...

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Power dissipation of the v.regs is the one thing most often understated when people
"advertise" their boards. Almost all of the Arduino boards use the tiny SOT-223 v.regs
for 5V, and claim 1-Amp, but they'll get very hot with loads over 200 mA or so, for
Vin > 6V or so.

TO-220 is the monster package, and will handle probably full current loads when using
a heatsink, and run off Vin up to 9-12V or so. On my own pcbs, I usually use the
D-PAK [TO-252] to bootstrap the 3.3V v.reg off the 5V v.reg. It helps to include some
extra copper area on the pcb under the v.reg to act as a heatsink for such parts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:55:42 pm by oric_dan(333) » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: