Go Down

Topic: Looking for help regarding a Counter (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Arrch

Jan 02, 2013, 08:13 pm Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 08:15 pm by Arrch Reason: 1

I am looking for them to be a bit larger than 1 inch, rather 2-3 inch.

I would go to some on the production sites like DigiKey, Mouser or Newark and see if you can find one in the size you are looking for. I doubt you'll be able to find a 3 or 4 digit ones, so they will likely have to hooked up individually. Keep an eye on the forward voltage and current requirements. Bigger displays often have multiple LEDs within each segment which increases the total forward voltage.

One of my projects has these 7 segments for example.

CrossRoads

It would be easy to connect a MAX7219 to 8 common-cathode 7-segment displays, 6 showing time & 2 showing lap count for instance.
H:MM:SSS, DD
Look at taydaelectronics (Thailand)for MAX7219, $1.25 each
If need larger digits there are other sources such as futurlec (Australia), 2.3", 3", 4", 5" available.

1.5-2 weeks for inexpensive shipping.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

jyank747

After looking at the website you both provided perhaps a Double Digit Seven-Segment LED Display for the laps 0-99.

And a Four Digit Seven-Segment LED Display for the real time module.

Wouldn't it be simplier if the two counts were on seperate LED displays?

Arrch

Wouldn't it be simplier if the two counts were on seperate LED displays?

That was what I was thinking. They also have 4-digit 7-segment "clock" devices that include the middle colon, although those may be harder to find in the larger sizes.

jyank747

that is okay i rather have the counter to be displayed larger than the real time, thanks for all your help.

now if i could get some help coding that would be great.

Go Up