Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbie question on designing your own 'board' instead of using wires  (Read 4309 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been playing with DipTrace on and off... so far, I'm liking it's features. Haven't gotten to defining my own part yet.
It seems very powerful and lots of editing options...

It's fugly though on an OSX, and hate seeing the C:\Program Files\blah blah blah directory structure.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

I've been playing with DipTrace on and off... so far, I'm liking it's features. Haven't gotten to defining my own part yet.
It seems very powerful and lots of editing options...

It's fugly though on an OSX, and hate seeing the C:\Program Files\blah blah blah directory structure.

I used to do PowerBuilder on Macs and it was the same way, essentially they were just emulating most of it so it had the same structure as the PC version.

I had to do a couple of matricies in the component / pattern editor.  It's pretty easy and explained well in the tutorial.   This is an Adafruit 0.8" matrix with a pattern on a schematic.  Board should be coming tomorrow, hopefully I got everything right.  I'm already worried I made the power traces way too thin.  The MAX7219s and matricies are bussed out to 6 total pairs.

Component

Pattern

Schematic

PCB

* PCB.png (44.37 KB, 588x633 - viewed 158 times.)

* Schematic.png (38.16 KB, 1044x766 - viewed 153 times.)

* Component.png (4.09 KB, 173x220 - viewed 152 times.)

* Pattern.png (1.32 KB, 146x146 - viewed 218 times.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:39:09 pm by JoeN » Logged

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

So in the mean time I dumped expresssch because I got the impression that I would get stuck and should go a bit more advanced so I started using Eagle.

I redid the scheme here:

There is a button board I noticed, can I just use this (items won't be in a nice order) or is it better to restart to create a board? Can wires cross, I guess not?

Thanks!

View Profile

You need to put junctions in your wire/schematic. I don't see any dots anywhere.

I dumped expresssch because I got the impression that I would get stuck
Good for you. Yeah, you want something that can output gerber so you can send the job to whomever you wish, and you're not tied up/hostaged by Express PCB.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for that, I updated it with juctions. That was a great tip!

View Profile

You don't need junctions at the IC pins, or component, or input/output terminals. They're understood as already being connected.

But when you have 2 net wires crossing, and they're supposed to be connected, yes, put a junction there.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Run the Schematic ERC (Tools:ERC) to make sure all the pins are connected. Or, wiggle each part a little to make sure wires are connected.
Can also use File:Export:Netlist to make sure all pins in a net are connected.
Really helps to name each signal (right click a signal, and use Name) when routing a board.  N$7 is not helpful as a Name!
Also, Edit:Net Classes to define trace widths, clearance around the trace, and via size to use.
You can select the Net Class for a trace in Properties as well.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Are these "wires" and not "nets"?  Seems like it since they didn't connect automatically.
You'll want to change that.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:38:03 pm by db2db » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

On the schematic, you draw wires to connect things and give them a Net name.

On the board, you connect the traces. You can also add wires; they can be given Names also so they will connect to a Net.
Same with Vias (especially Gnd) and Polygons (for Gnd layers).

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

On the schematic, you draw wires to connect things and give them a Net name.

In Eagle you want to use nets, not wires.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

On the schematic, they are called Wire.
Draw: Wire.
Right click on a line, select Properties, and it opens a message box with Wire on the top, and Net on the bottom.

View Profile

I hate to disagree with you, but here's a quote from Jorge at Cadsoft (Eagle) .

"Wires should only be used for artistic purposes, the name LINE would be
more inline with it's function than WIRE but for historical reasons it's
still named WIRE.
Never use WIRE to define connections in the schematic and in most cases
you don't want to use WIRE to define connections on the board.
Jorge Garcia"

more info here:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/38435#38435/l/aw-im-confused-about-adding-nets
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:12:08 am by db2db » Logged

View Profile

Well, that's freaking news to me. I've always used WIRE when drawing schematics all these years, never had any problem making PCBs from it... and I have thousands of boards/products out there in the field.

This is the icon I click in Eagle.

EDIT:
Okay, using the NET command saves me the step of placing a net junction as a separate task.
Other than that difference, if you look at properties, it's the same as using LINE then placing the junctions manually.

* wire.jpg (4.45 KB, 68x85 - viewed 55 times.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:50:39 am by vasquo » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

So is using the button create PCB the correct next step or should I start from scratch?

I used this button to test and this surprised me: looking at my schematic you can see this:

But when I used the PCB button you can see that only these wires are not connected (on the left side, PUSHBUTTONSREAD):

The resistors are also missing here.

Thanks

View Profile

Move that resistor back in the schematic and you'll see it's not actually connected. The wires won't move with it.

Again, NET is better.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: