Go Down

Topic: Newbie question on designing your own 'board' instead of using wires (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

On the schematic, they are called Wire.
Draw: Wire.
Right click on a line, select Properties, and it opens a message box with Wire on the top, and Net on the bottom.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

db2db

I hate to disagree with you, but here's a quote from Jorge at Cadsoft (Eagle) .

"Wires should only be used for artistic purposes, the name LINE would be
more inline with it's function than WIRE but for historical reasons it's
still named WIRE.
Never use WIRE to define connections in the schematic and in most cases
you don't want to use WIRE to define connections on the board.
Jorge Garcia"

more info here:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/38435#38435/l/aw-im-confused-about-adding-nets

vasquo

Well, that's freaking news to me. I've always used WIRE when drawing schematics all these years, never had any problem making PCBs from it... and I have thousands of boards/products out there in the field.

This is the icon I click in Eagle.

EDIT:
Okay, using the NET command saves me the step of placing a net junction as a separate task.
Other than that difference, if you look at properties, it's the same as using LINE then placing the junctions manually.

Stijn

So is using the button create PCB the correct next step or should I start from scratch?

I used this button to test and this surprised me: looking at my schematic you can see this:

But when I used the PCB button you can see that only these wires are not connected (on the left side, PUSHBUTTONSREAD):

The resistors are also missing here.

Thanks

db2db

Move that resistor back in the schematic and you'll see it's not actually connected. The wires won't move with it.

Again, NET is better.

Go Up