Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Standalone Setup  (Read 5334 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Try this thread for the Jungo driver replacement. It's what worked for me with Windows Vista.

"How to configure the Atmel AVRISP MKii to work with Arduino IDE"
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118089.0.html

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

AFAIR I got my driver from libusb.org as mentioned in that thread. The stuff about editing the boards.txt file is not needed with Arduino 1.0 and later because it has the "Upload using programmer" function. I'm using Windows 7 32-bit and have no problems using the AVRISPmkII with both AVR Studio 6 and Arduino 1.02 as long as I switch drivers when going between the two. Perhaps there is an issue with the 64-bit version of the driver?

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

UK
God Member
View Profile

Ah yes - I should mention, I'm using Win7 - not Vista that people seem to have the MK II working with in the Arduino IDE.

View Profile

Perhaps there is an issue with the 64-bit version of the driver?

Perhaps this is the case.  No matter what driver I try, I just have no luck getting it to work via the IDE on my 64 bit machine.  Not a big deal.  It's working via AVR Studio 6 and I've enjoyed learing about fuses and lock bits anyway.  Seems like I will have lots more options for chip configurations.  I got to spend some tme in the datasheet too!  :-)

I'm really lost in AVR studio.  Seems I've got more to learn about C++ programming.

The Uno is repaired and I'm programming my sketches on standalone boards to be inserted into my projects.  I'll consider that a success.  No doubt I I've covered territory that was covered before, but it was worth it.  Thanks for all the great help.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I'm really lost in AVR studio.  Seems I've got more to learn about C++ programming.

Arduino programming is C++ programming. The main differences are:

1. In the Arduino environment, all the core functions and libraries are available by default. In AVR Studio you need to copy any Arduino core functions and libraries you need into your project.

2. In C++ you need to declare anything you reference before you refer to it (with a few exceptions, such as class member declarations referred to from other declarations in the same class). The Arduino environment generates forward declarations for you automatically, so you mostly don't need to worry about this.

The AVR Studio editor is much nicer than the Arduino editor and the error messages are shown in the right place. I generally use AVR Studio for ATtiny programming, but Arduino IDE for atmega328p and larger programming.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

USA, FL
God Member
A life? Where can I download one of those?
View Profile

Perhaps this is the case.  No matter what driver I try, I just have no luck getting it to work via the IDE on my 64 bit machine.  Not a big deal.  It's working via AVR Studio 6 and I've enjoyed learing about fuses and lock bits anyway.  Seems like I will have lots more options for chip configurations.  I got to spend some tme in the datasheet too!  :-)

I had the same problem with my Win7 x64 machine.  I found these drivers to work with my setup.

http://mightyohm.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/avrispmkii_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0.zip - direct download

http://mightyohm.com/blog/2010/09/avrisp-mkii-libusb-drivers-for-windows-7-vista-x64/ - Web page that has the download link.

I know it has 32 in the title but it works for x64.

//LiNK

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Jump to: