Go Down

Topic: Math calculations involving time - Code for count down timer (Read 131 times) previous topic - next topic

Doug101

I'm working on my home automation code and wonder what the best way to do calculations involving date/time.

One of my HA is to press a button which turns on my garden path lights for 5 minutes and then turns them off. 

At first I thought of taking the current time adding 5 minutes, then testing to see when 5 minutes have past and turn them off.  But then I realized if I turn the lights on after 55 minutes past the hour I would have to do hour math.  And if it' just before midnight day hour math.

Easiest solution would be if Arduino have a command to convert year, month, day, hour minutes to an integer.  Then I could just do integer math.

Anyone know if such a command exists?  And what it is?  Or is there a better way?

Thanks

rw950431

Most people just use millis()

Some psuedocode below (this wont actually compile..)

Code: [Select]
unsigned long int button_on_time

void loop {
  if (button_pressed) {

button_on_time=millis();
     digitalwrite(garden_lights,HIGH);

}

if (millis() > button_on_time+5*60*1000) {
     digitalwrite(garden_lights,LOW)
  }
}

Doug101

Someone else suggested   unsigned long variables with the calculation of     currentTime - startTime >= timeOnInterval

This would work for longer periods of time and eliminate the problems of minutes wrapping if the button is pressed at the end of the hour.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy