Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Generic Ethernet shield vs Official Ethernet shield  (Read 561 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have an official arduino Ethernet shield and a generic Ethernet shield. The official shield works without any problems, but the generic shield is very slow and sometimes does not work at all.

I suspect it's got to do with the SPI bus. When I test the SD card only it seems fine and when I test the Ethernet port only it seams fine. The problem begins when I combine them in a web server configuration.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem? Can somebody shed some light on this problem?

View Profile

I did some further test with my web server sketch and it seems that the generic board can not handle large HTML files. Everything works on the official shield but it does not work on the generic.

I also have to mention that the generic board needs to be physical powered down for it to work with smaller HTML files.

So my conclusion: Chuck the generic board and only use official boards from now on. The old saying is true "You get what you pay for".

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

I can't comment on HTML files, but I would have thought that the shield was just a communications device and and the size of the file would be immaterial.

The deafening silence in response to your plea

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Is likely to mean "no". This means you need to ascertain why you have a problem that nobody else has, particularly as it is very likely that more people use generic than official shields.

It could be that the shield is suss but, if so, it is probably just that one.
It could be that you are the first person in the universe to tax it with a large HTML file, but it isn't likely, and you don't say what large is anyway.
But the absence of any response suggests that user error is the most likely cause of your problem. This is not to deny that you have fixed a perceived problem, but you might not have fixed the real one.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:23:41 pm by Nick_Pyner » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: