Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mega 2560 R3 vs. Uno R3 for beginners {Raspberry Pi}  (Read 13895 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

An alarm system seems really cool,  definitely a project I will look into.
And yeah,  an Arduino isn't really needed with an RPi but I have seen many projects incorporate both,  mainly projects dealing with robotics (which is what I am interested in). In the long run I plan on making an autonomous robot. I don't plan on buying an Arduino immediately, probably after I've experimented with the RPi enough and run into some limitations. But that Microcenter deal looks pretty good,  I might pick it up from my local Microcenter soon or just order it to save myself from the 45 minute drive.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

The 25v on a capacitor means that it can stand 25v without damage, as opposed to 16v on the other board.  But they only run at whatever you plug in to the DC socket, usually under 12 volts.

I have heard that the best and the worst electonic parts come from China,  the trick is finding which is which !

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

View Profile

I'm sorry but the OP's original link WAS a fake.  (misnomer or not)

They showed a picture of Arduino's mega and just removed the "made in Italy" verbage.
Look at the pics of the back side of the board.  Clearly shows Arduino logo & Arduino "made in Italy" board.

If it was a clone they would have posted a picture of their own board, minus the Arduino name and logo.

Because they are advertising as selling ARDUINOs (not Arduino compatible) they are FAKES.

I have bought "compatible" boards before, and have made my own.  That's not the point here.
I have no problem with others manufacturing their own and calling it whatever-duino.

It's the fact that they are using someone else's brand and saying theirs are the real deal.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:41:27 am by JD3 » Logged

That little black caterpillar you just stepped on will set you back a few bucks....

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I mean I'd love to support the creators though,
Except that it will cost you money. Do morals go out the window when it starts to cost you?

The money made from the real thing goes to make this forum possible, it is used to subsidies boards for education world wide and it goes to fund new developments like the Due.
So yes you can get an arduino cheaper but not that much cheaper so that it is worth undermining all the good work these guys do. None of them are the millionaires that the success of this project would guarantee them in any other walk of life.
Give them a break and do the right thing.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

I am with GrumpyMike there,  if it hadnt been for these Arduino guys, I would still be using CMOS, and wouldnt have had a wonderful ongoing micro learning experience.

Both my boards are genuine from a local agent.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

So who/where in italy makes the "real" arduino boards?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

So who/where in italy makes the "real" arduino boards?
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ

Most of the official Arduino boards are manufactured by SmartProjects in Italy. The Arduino Pro, Pro Mini, and LilyPad are manufactured by SparkFun Electronics (a US company). The Arduino Nano is manufactured by Gravitech (also a US company).

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary numbers and those that don't.
View Profile

Regarding the Italian vs. Chinese made boards, here's my 2 cents. 

I currently have two boards, a Uno bought from a reputable supplier and a mega bought off ebay and shipped from China.  Both say "Made in Italy".

The reputable source Uno is rock solid, and has clean graphcs.  The china sourced Mega was dirty on arrival, and the graphics were "fuzzy" like a photocopy of an original, which I suspect is close to what it is.  Further, the Mega hangs about 10% of the time I send a program to it.  After a couple days running a program, the Chinese sourced LCD connected to the mega is corrupt, showing characters  not in the program.

All that said, I can't say anything definitive about the mega just voice suspicions.  I have no experience with any other mega, so I don't know personally if they are less stable than the Unos.  Further, I don't know that the Chinese sourced I2C display is causing the corruption issue. 

I can only suspect the china sourced mega is causing problems.  If all you want to do is tinker, stability is likely not an issue.  However, if you want your project to run stable for weeks, then reducing suspicion might be worth a few bucks.  After reading this thread, I think I'll stick with reliable sources, to support them and eliminate unknowns.  It's worth the few bucks. 

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I can only suspect the china sourced mega is causing problems.

Hardware usually works reliably the way it is wired. On the other hand, 99% of issues like yours are likely to bad code.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

99% of issues like yours are likely to bad code.

I have no experience with any other mega, so I don't know personally if they are less stable than the Unos.
Yes zoomkat when he programs the Uno he is spot on with his coding but when he selects the Mega in the tools menu he can't write code any more. It is a well known effect.

Nothing to do with using processors fished out of the reject bin at all.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes zoomkat when he programs the Uno he is spot on with his coding but when he selects the Mega in the tools menu he can't write code any more. It is a well known effect.

Where did he say that the same code runs on the UNO with LCD attached without the same errors as on the Mega? Reread what the person posted.

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Where did he say that the same code runs on the UNO with LCD attached without the same errors as on the Mega
I never said he did, please re read what I said.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I never said he did, please re read what I said.

I was just trying to give a technical response to your non technical whine. Guess there is no good response to whines in a technical forum. As to ebay arduino boards, buy from vendors that have good feedback and have completed large numbers of transactions. 

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I was just trying to give a technical response to your non technical whine.
I resent that it was a very technical whine.

It is you who are the moral degenerate cheapskate happy to live off the back of others.

As to ebay arduino boards, buy from vendors that have good feedback and have completed large numbers of transactions. 
Well that is your advice.
I have not always found that to be a reliable indicator of worth from an ebay supplier. In fact one of the worst supplier has one of those medallion logos saying what a good supplier they are and he ripped me off to the tune of £500. 

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary numbers and those that don't.
View Profile

I can only suspect the china sourced mega is causing problems.

Hardware usually works reliably the way it is wired. On the other hand, 99% of issues like yours are likely to bad code.

Good point, but code runs rock solid on my Uno.  Further my Uno never hangs when I upload code to it, and I've uploaded code to the Uno many more times than to the Mega.  Like I said the Mega hangs frequently when uploading code.  Additionally, code written by others hangs on the Mega as well. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: