Go Down

Topic: Laser to Light Sensor (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

tnvol5875

All,

I'm working on a project involving a light-to-frequency converter IC (TSL235R) measuring something similar to light intensity (irradiance actually in uW/cm^2) and a red LED as a light emitter. I'm planning to replace the LED with a laser in order to better control the emitting part of the system.  I'm not very experienced with light/lasers, but would it be possible to operate an LED and laser in the same wavelength?  Also, if they are the same wavelength, would their irradiance be the same at the same voltage?

Thank you.

Magician

-- but would it be possible to operate an LED and laser in the same wavelength?

Yes, if you read data sheet of the product, and buy two device with the same wavelenght. You can't change it later on

-- Also, if they are the same wavelength, would their irradiance be the same at the same voltage?

No, and voltage 'd be quite different. You will have wider dynamic range with regular led. Laser is not light up at all if current below specific treshold.

robtillaart

Nice sensor, I know from experience that at high light intensities my Arduino got frozen by the 100000's  interrupts it generated.
So a laser might be just too much fotons ..

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up