Go Down

Topic: fried my uno (whoops) fix.? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

vasquo

Maybe kitty's house is mis-wired at one of the outlets? That's the only explanation for your breaker popping.

I'd call an electrician.

oric_dan

I just fried my Duemillanove today. I connected the ground to an oscilloscope that had the case ground shorted to the AC line.

This is interesting. Were you powering the Duemilanove from the USB port on your PC?

I just did some tests on my notebook PCs. The USB shields and ground pins on the FTDI
cable seem to be isolated from the AC Mains. I don't see see how that could blow the
mains breaker.

smeezekitty

=( I just fried my Duemillanove today. I connected the ground to an oscilloscope that had the case ground shorted to the AC line.

*FLASH* *POP* followed by half the room losing power

After disconnecting everything and resetting the breaker, everything was ok except the Arduino.

The FTDI is fried...

I have actually had success using drag soldering to replace the FTDI chip but it did significantly damage the board so I cannot fix it at this point.

As far as the OP's problem, if they have a small soldering iron, small solder and a flux pen, they might be able to fix it although the 8U2 has an even finer pitch than the FTDI chip. Overall, I think they will need to purchase a Arduino like I will need to.

Bad day for Arduinos I guess  :P
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Kghunt

just seems like such a waste. Im gonna harvest it for all I can get. USB and power jack, voltage reg (which I will test on breadboard) momentary switch and all the headers. Maybe even the dil. All these items I have purchhased at one timemor another.

oric_dan

Not really. When boards with a lot of surface-mount chips get toasted, it's really not
worth the trouble to try and fix them - unless you're a really compulsive individual.
Toast is toast.

Go Up