Go Down

Topic: fried my uno (whoops) fix.? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

smeezekitty

I just fried my Duemillanove today. I connected the ground to an oscilloscope that had the case ground shorted to the AC line.

This is interesting. Were you powering the Duemilanove from the USB port on your PC?

I just did some tests on my notebook PCs. The USB shields and ground pins on the FTDI
cable seem to be isolated from the AC Mains. I don't see see how that could blow the
mains breaker.

This was on a desktop but my laptop is the same. The USB ground is connected to the mains ground.

Maybe kitty's house is mis-wired at one of the outlets? That's the only explanation for your breaker popping.

I'd call an electrician.

No miswiring AFAIK. The scope had a fault that is now fixed.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

oric_dan

What do you mean the scope had a fault, that's now fixed. That sounds like
very low probability.

smeezekitty

What do you mean the scope had a fault, that's now fixed. That sounds like
very low probability.

It is a very old scope (mostly vacuum tube).
One of the incoming AC wires was literally touching the metal outer case. It is properly insulated now
The cord I was using was not grounded  :smiley-mr-green:
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

oric_dan

Wow, that is an old scope. Don't get a hernia trying to carry it around! Just for
general use, you might look at getting one of the inexpensive microcomputerized
devices, eg,

http://www.makershed.com/DSO_Nano_V2_0_p/mkseeed11.htm

Kghunt

I finally binned my uno. Recieved my nano from china bay and it has a dodgy reset switch. I can replace it so I got a part refund. It ended up costing me £5. I think I may get another nano from the UK also as the buid quality on thisnone is questionable.

Go Up