Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Extreme data variation with MaxBotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder  (Read 1459 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am using three MaxBotix ultrasonic range finders:
http://www.maxbotix.com/documents/MB1010_Datasheet.pdf

using the Sequentially Read Each MaxSonar wiring scheme:
http://www.maxbotix.com/articles/031.htm

I have played with angles and surfaces they are pointed at, a timer around the calling function so there is a time lag between each of the analogRead functions and I am still getting a very large range in data collected from the lead sensor in the chain. This latest run I was getting from 16 inches to 57 inches (variation of 41 inches is not going to work for my application), and the second sensor has a 10 inch variation and the final sensor only has a variation of 4 inches.

Am I doing the wrong kind of scheme? Would the Continuous looping scheme give me more accurate readings? Are there any other suggestions?

Should I try using a filter to and try to get an average before making decisions about actions? That idea comes up because the high values seem to be accurate and the pattern might work if I take 3 readings and if one of the 3 is higher than my threshold then continue normally or if all is less than stop the aircraft.

Thanks for any help,
Postholes

Ontario, Ohio
View Profile

Did you read the links that you provided?
The first line of the second link says, "Continuous free run operation will generally not work when using more than one sensor in the same system."

View Profile

I read the link, that is why I am using the mode in a lower section that is titled:
Sequentially Read Each MaxSonar
which is followed by (Always Works)

I tried getting 3 readings and only using the maximum value of the 3 and I am still getting greater than 12 inches of variation on that one sensor.

Does anybody have experience trying to use multiple sensors on the same project? My next idea at this point is to re-wire and use the section titled:
Control the MaxSonar Sensors to Range Simultaneously
I chose not to use this one because it explicitly says that this works for most, and not all situations.

Could I just have a bad sensor?

Thanks,
Postholes

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

How often are you triggering the string of devices?  Perhaps if you trigger too often the first sensor will get interference from the third sensor in the chain.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

I was reading with every loop and dialed it back to 100 milliseconds and doing the largest of 3 readings from that. So I'm getting one solid read roughly every 300-325 milliseconds. I'm not sure if that is fast enough. Although, I am getting better data. I'm worried it might be running into a wall before any decision could be made, unless I tell it to stop from 10' away lol. Hopefully that's the worst case scenario haha!

Would you wage a guess that if this was on a quad copter the flight speed would be seriously hampered by a bottle neck that large? All flight control decisions are based on this sensor data.

I'm working on getting interference with rotor noise worked out then hopefully moving onto actual flight. I have most of the program wrote for an initial text but I have this issue and the interference issue to figure out. I have some ideas on the interference problem but I may be back here asking for advice on that.

Thank you,
Postholes

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello, this is Scott from MaxBotix Inc.

We have been communicating through email, and I wanted to publish the resolution to this problem on the forum.

One of the issues that is happening is by using the LV-MaxSonar-EZ sensor on a Quad-Copter, the sensor is not able to adjust for the large amount noise of the copter which means the sensor is unable to range reliably. The Quad-Copter in flight acts as a constant noise source. In addition,  many quads have been found to supply unstable power to the sensors.  After testing a quad-copter at our facility, we have found that the MB1240 and MB1242 operated the best on multi-copters.

Our engineers have found that it is best not to mount the sensor in the prop-wash.  Prop-wash can act as an acoustic noise that can cause interference with the sensor.

Additional engineering recommendations are to use our MB7954 cable and MB7961 Power Supply Filter kit with the sensors.  The reason for this recommendation of the MB7961 is the control device for the multi-copter may not output stable power to the sensor.  The MB7961 can help stabilize the power that is supplied to the sensor so the best performance is achieved. Additionally, the shielded wire ensures no noise is injected into your sensors connection wires which can cause performance issues.

Please let me know if you have any questions by emailing scott@maxbotix.com

Best regards,

Scott Wielenberg
Technical Support & Sales
of MaxBotix Inc.
Phone: (218) 454-0766
Fax: (218) 454-0768
Email: scott@maxbotix.com
Web: www.maxbotix.com
Follow us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MaxBotix-Inc/125159384204938

Technical support and sales are subject to
the terms and conditions listed on our
website at http://www.maxbotix.com/ MaxBotix,
MaxSonar,EZ0, EZ1, EZ2, EZ3, EZ4, AE0, AE1,
AE2, AE3, AE4, WR1, WRA1, and WRLA1 are
trademarks of MaxBotix Inc.

View Profile

If I buy a set of the MB1242 sensors can I use the same wiring scheme that I have now? I have good insulated wire so noise isn't an issue and I am powering the sensors and arduino from a power source separate from the drone. A good lipo battery should be providing sufficient power for everything, 7.4V, 800maH.

As I have it now I can make the project work but if I decide to spend a whole mess of money getting more sensors I want to be sure I won't have to rebuild everything.

Thanks,
Postholes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: