Go Down

Topic: RESOLVED What is "VSB" on a power supply? (Read 596 times) previous topic - next topic

JimboZA

Jan 06, 2013, 03:41 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 06:04 pm by JimboZA Reason: 1
Hi gang,

The pic shows the label on a desktop pc power supply... I understand the DC outputs like 3.3, 5 (circled red) and 12V, but I've never noticed the +5VSB (circled purple) before.

Please can someone enlighten me as to what that is?

TIA,

Jim
My hovercraft is full of eels.

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

johnwasser

I believe the "+5V" part means the same as it does elsewhere.  The "SB" part probably stands for "Stand-By" which would mean a 5V supply that is on even when the rest of the power supply is off.  It's used to maintain memory or power the power switch.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

JimboZA

Yep I got the +5V part too John  :)

But thanks, Stand By makes sense.

power the power switch.

Gotta love that idea.... sorry, can't switch the power on cos there's no power to power the switch.

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

MarkT

Well its used for wake-on-LAN etc, not just the power switch.  Some machines have permanently powered USB sockets
too IIRC.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

JimboZA

Confirmed from various Instructables like this one that the purple "SB" is indeed StandBy.

No PMs for help please.

Go Up