Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using an Unknown LED  (Read 1476 times)
Worst state in America
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How did you deal with possible reverse polarity connection to the led? (retorical question, you didn't deal with it per your drawing)  smiley-wink

Most standard leds have a maximum reverse voltage rating of only 5vdc. An internal series diode in series with the test leads output would probably be enough.

Lefty

As you can see from the drawing, I do not deal with reverse polarity. But, since the current is limited to approximately 20 mA, who cares if the LED reverse conducts? Won't hurt it.

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Edison Member
View Profile

since the current is limited to approximately 20 mA, who cares if the LED reverse conducts? Won't hurt it.

You don't think the voltage would play a role here?

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

I've burned out exactly one LED from reverse voltage.  It so rarely happens, it took me a while to figure out why it no longer worked.  Oddly enough, it was a PCB-mount LED that was capable of handling over 50mA, and bright enough that you don't want to look at it for long.  I would've figured it would be pretty tough to kill.  But, of all the 3mm and 5mm LEDs I've ever messed with, I have yet to ruin one with a current limiting resistor in place.  Not to say it can't happen, but I don't even try to avoid reversing them if I don't have a way of knowing ahead of time.  At 5v, anything from 220R to 10K is likely to suffice, at least for a test.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: