Go Down

Topic: Need some help for a science project. (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

arduinohabib

That's the spirit! I had a time when I would bring a bunch of electronic components and sometimes my Arduino to school and secretly experiment during classes.
Good luck!
What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

JimboZA

bunch of electronic components and sometimes my Arduino to school and secretly experiment during classes.

And the result was the spaghetti tangle in your av, right?  8)

@Falchion.... take it slow and carefully. Get a plan together, don't try attach a zillion servos to a zillion strings: get one joint working then one finger. (Here's a thought.... it might be an idea to make a "test-finger", as distinct from the hand, just to simplify things while you get that sorted.) Then extend that thinking to the hand as a whole.

I think each knuckle has a string?- in theory that means one servo per knuckle... maybe you can "bunch" strings together and use one servo to move a finger?- I don't think you need to move each finger segment individually do you? So if you pull all the strings on a finger at once, you can probably clench the whole finger.

If it comes to that, maybe you can clench the whole hand with one servo?

Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Falchion

This is the only part I don't get. I just don't understand how the servo will move the fingers..  :~
Robots are cool.

arduinohabib

The servo is connected to your Arduino, I presume you will be connecting strings from the fingers to the servo, like a pupet. Then you write a program for the Arduino to rotate the servo quite exactly. (Eg. 25 degrees left)
What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

JimboZA

Ok, I'll try explain but difficult without a model. Have a look at the photo I attached below. I can't remember where it came from, so thanks to whoever's pic it is.

The pic isn't what you have, obviously, but shows the principle; best I can do right now. As you can see it's a gripper, so like a pair of scissors: One side stays still, the other moves. The servo is at bottom left and a wire goes from the horn (the white plastic thing with holes) across to the right hand arm of the gripper.

When the servo rotates say 20 degrees clockwise, the wire pulls the arm to the left and closes the grip. Rotate servo anti clock, and the grip is released because the wire pushes the arm back to the right

So similarly, your servo horn will pull a string and clench the finger. Only difference is (if I understand correctly) is that your string (being string) can't push, so the finger un-clenches by the springiness in the straw.

That help?
Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Go Up