Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 2 loads not working together on the same battery  (Read 455 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

One 12v car battery powers 2 loads. One load is 3.5A and the other is 100mA. The 100mA load is always on and when the 3.5A load gets switched on, scope readings show the amp draw momentarily dropping to half or less and voltage dropping from 12v to about 9.5v on the 100mA load. How can I maintain steady, smooth voltage and current to the low amp load during the brief time that the much larger load is energized? Would I need to use a large inductor or large cap to help momentarily sustain the 100mA current and voltage during this time?

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

This circuit may be what you need:

* Battery.jpg (102.5 KB, 854x464 - viewed 27 times.)

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up!

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

That sounds like a very discharged or sick car battery. A 3.5 amp load for a car battery should not cause a noticeable voltage drop.

Lety

UK
God Member
View Profile

A better description of the loads and how they are connected will help.

We can all assume they are nice resistor loads, but if you've got some large reactive values in there then all sorts of strange things can happen during transient conditions.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

It's super simple. Just a car battery, a switch, a 3.5A power lock actuator, and a analog camera. That's it. The switch activates the power door lock actuator.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It's super simple. Just a car battery, a switch, a 3.5A power lock actuator, and a analog camera. That's it. The switch activates the power door lock actuator.

Don't forget to remind them that the ground wire for all this is a single conductor of a cat5 cable. sad.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Don't forget to remind them that the ground wire for all this is a single conductor of a cat5 cable. sad.
it's irrelevant. I've tried a much shorter 18GA wire in place of it. Of course, I still get the same result because it's unrelated to the problem. Thanks for trying to 'help' though.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

it's irrelevant. I've tried a much shorter 18GA wire in place of it. Of course, I still get the same result because it's unrelated to the problem. Thanks for trying to 'help' though.

Your situation is hopeless. sorry

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,140951.0.html

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,142587.0.html

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,142228.0.html

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for your opinion. You're not able to help and you know it. I've got some new tips from people who understand the issue that I'm going to experiment with.

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

a 3.5A power lock actuator

Would that be an solenoid / electromagnet kind of thing, and therefore the very type of inductive load that tack warns of:

but if you've got some large reactive values in there then all sorts of strange things can happen

Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: