Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Measuring speed of falling object  (Read 1402 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

My son has to do a science project for 6th grade.  We are thinking about dropping weighted ping pong balls from about a 6 six story height.  We would measure how fast each ball fell.  (air resistance would cause the lighter balls to fall slower).

Any ideas on how we could time the ball drop? 

I am thinking about using two arduinos.  One would be at the top.  The ball would fall through a tube and I would use a photo sensor to detect when the ball dropped.  The top arduino would then fire a laser pointer to signal the bottom arduino to start a timer clock.  The bottom arduino would have an accelerometer attached to a table.  When the ball lands on the table, the accelerometer senses the impact and stops the clock.  I then have the start/stop time sent back to my laptop.

Anyone think this would work or have a better idea?  Would an accelerometer be able to sense this type of thing?

thanks
chad

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

use one arduino cause they are more than capible and 2 optical sensors at the bottom

so one arduino, one trigger switch at the top, two "magic eyes" at the bottom for each tube and your done

Faraday Member
View Profile

Hmmmm you could probably use one Arduino with two microswitches like these to stop and start the clock.

But by measuring the time, you're not going to measure the speed as such... you'll have to infer the speed from the Equations of Motion in which you would need to assume a value of g. (Or measure g in another experiment, like measuring the period of a pendulum.)

(Bit unclear as to your objective... your subject says speed, but your opening para says how fast it fell, which could be just the elapsed time? Time's one thing, measuring the terminal velocity is another)

Retired from Arduino.
PMs are set to ignore all.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

His teacher wants him to do a repeatable experiment and show effects of changing one variable.  So we want to show that changing the wait, changes how long it takes the ball to fall a specific distance.  So not really needing to measure the speed, just the time to fall over a specific distance.

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

You might be able to use a sound sensor to detect when the ball hits the ground/table/etc.
http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php?title=Analog_Sound_Sensor_%28SKU:_DFR0034%29

Faraday Member
View Profile

So we want to show that changing the wait, changes how long it takes the ball to fall a specific distance.

Well in theory, changing the weight (which is what you meant I guess  smiley-cool ) won't change the time, although with "floaty" objects it might.

Here's a much simpler experiment and involves nothing but the stop watch on your cellphone. Set up a simple pendulum, and show that the mass doesn't affect the time of the swing, only the length does.

Edit.... and while you're at it, verify that T = 2 pi (l / g)1/2 or conversely rearrange and use it as a means of showing what g is
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:10:33 am by JimboZA » Logged

Retired from Arduino.
PMs are set to ignore all.

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy Osbourne
View Profile

Go with Osgeld's idea, because not only can that way calculate fall time, but it can calculate the speed as well. The only downside is that you need to keep the PP ball within a decent range of the sensors, otherwise the data will be off.

Created Libraries:
NPV2 (NewPasswordV2),  TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo.
Will provide libraries if asked in PM or forum.

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

wind may be a major factor here
hitting the target from more than a few feet may be nigh on impossible

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

If only average speed has to be determined, know height and time, only time should be measured accurately. I'd put arduino (smallest one?) inside a ball,  with two buttons, one to be released by operator when dropping a ball, second one 'd be pressed automatically at falling time ( feather tail would sure ball always fall on the same side).

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I would think a wireless message from top to bottom would be easier to implement.
RF travels at speed of light too.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
View Profile

The easiset way is a good camcorder and video tape it. If you use DV you can get 1/30th second resolution.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

My son has to do a science project for 6th grade.  We are thinking about dropping weighted ping pong balls from about a 6 six story height.  We would measure how fast each ball fell.  (air resistance would cause the lighter balls to fall slower).

No it wouldn't. The air resistance would be the same for a same size ping pong ball no matter what weight difference. Didn't Sir Isaac Newton already demonstrate that weight is not a factor in a falling object?

Any ideas on how we could time the ball drop?

Sure, optical sensors/emitters on the outside of a plastic tube or pipe that has a ID diameter just a little larger then a ping pong ball that is 'looking through' the pipe, using one sensor/emitter at near the top of the tube and one near the bottom of the tube. Arduino would time interval between start and stop, speed is just a math equation based on that elapsed speed.

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:30:13 am by retrolefty » Logged

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

No it wouldn't. The air resistance would be the same for a same size ping pong ball no matter what weight difference. Didn't Sir Isaac Newton demonstrate that weight is not a factor in a falling object?

I'm very surprised to see that from you retrolefty. Sir Isaac Newton's experiment only works when the effects of air resistance can be ignored. If you drop a feather and a cannon ball, the feather falls more slowly.

If the balls are being dropped through a pipe that is anywhere near the size of the balls then the aerodynamic blockage will cause a much higher drag than you'd seen in fresh air. This would have a much greater effect on very light balls such as a ping pong ball. You may also see mechanical drag if the balls start bouncing off the sides of the tube. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:34:46 am by PeterH » Logged

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

No it wouldn't. The air resistance would be the same for a same size ping pong ball no matter what weight difference. Didn't Sir Isaac Newton demonstrate that weight is not a factor in a falling object?

I'm very surprised to see that from you retrolefty. Sir Isaac Newton's experiment only works when the effects of air resistance can be ignored. If you drop a feather and a cannon ball, the feather falls more slowly.

Well I'm very surprised at you, don't two ping pong balls have the same wind resistance even if one is hollow and the other filled with water? Read the actual experiment the OP is proposing.

Lefty

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

The air resistance would be the same for a same size ping pong ball no matter what weight difference.
It's not correct, air resistance/drag  also depends on speed,

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: