Go Down

Topic: Connecting Arduino to controlled device's ground (Read 344 times) previous topic - next topic

joshuabardwell

As you may know, if you have been reading some of my other posts, I am working on an Arduino project where the Arduino controls the output of a welder. This involves sending a voltage to a pin on the welder that the welder maps to output level. The welder expects a potentiometer to be on the circuit, but instead I am connecting the Arduino to the wiper pin, ignoring the Vcc pin altogether, and I have hooked the welder's ground pin to the Arduino's ground bus.

I assume that I must have the welder and the Arduino share a ground, so that the voltage put out by the Arduino will be referenced to the same level as the welder is expecting. And I assumed that, when the Arduino and the welder were hooked up together, that any difference in their ground voltage level would be resolved--that they would "split the difference," if you will and come to a common ground. But then I got to thinking about ground loops, and I wondered if I was making some incorrect assumption.

Is there some issue that I should be aware of with connecting the Arduino's ground to the welder's ground like this?

dc42

Is there some issue that I should be aware of with connecting the Arduino's ground to the welder's ground like this?

Yes. If whatever is powering the Arduino (e.g. a PC via the USB port) has ground connected to mains ground, and so does the welder, then you will have a ground loop. Ground loops are generally a bad thing, particularly when they involve high current devices such as your welder, and could damage your Arduino.

The solution is to power the Arduino from a supply that is not connected to mains ground. Examples include a laptop computer running from battery power, a battery, or a 2-pin wall wart (in UK/Ireland, that would be a wall wart with a plastic earth pin).
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

joshuabardwell

The solution is to power the Arduino from a supply that is not connected to mains ground. Examples include a laptop computer running from battery power, a battery, or a 2-pin wall wart (in UK/Ireland, that would be a wall wart with a plastic earth pin).

Fascinating. The Arduino is currently being powered either by a 9v battery or by a 9v "wall-wart" with only 2 prongs. So I guess I should be good to go there.

If such a solution was out of the question for some reason, then what would the approach be? Derive power and ground from the controlled device and use opto-isolated connections on the control lines? Something like that?

dc42

If such a solution was out of the question for some reason, then what would the approach be? Derive power and ground from the controlled device and use opto-isolated connections on the control lines? Something like that?

Either that, or use a digital isolator chip such as the ADUM6401.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy