Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino restarts my computer  (Read 1903 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Yeah, I know that might be an issue sometimes. But now the arduino wasn't connected to anything, powered from the computer. I guess it must be fault on the motherboard of the computer.

Not necessarily a fault, just inadequate power at the port. You are exceeding the specification. And it's not exclusive to your macbook either. I recently replaced the mobo in my desktop and was horrified to find it refused to start the next morning. It turned out that the Arduino was the culprit.

The arduino boards use a USB 500 ma thermofuse to help protect the PC from any harm the arduino could cause the PC. Also most all PCs have internal USB power protection circuitry to protect it's hardware from dumb user mistakes or broken USB connectors or cables as it would be way too frequent and easy a way for average PC consumers to cause damage to their PCs via plugging and unplugging USB stuff. This is not a commonly reported problem (arduino board causing PC to reset/restart and/or motherboard damage.

Lefty 

View Profile

this has happened to me twice with the Leonardo and Arduino 1.03 - once on a Mac Pro running 10.7 and once on a Macbook Pro running 10.8 - in the case of the latter the Leonardo was externally powered.

both times it was during the uploading phase - didn't get a kernel panic message, just a hard reboot all of a sudden

View Profile

this has happened to me twice with the Leonardo and Arduino 1.03 - once on a Mac Pro running 10.7 and once on a Macbook Pro running 10.8 - in the case of the latter the Leonardo was externally powered.

both times it was during the uploading phase - didn't get a kernel panic message, just a hard reboot all of a sudden

Uff, 'glad' I am not alone. I feel your pain!

View Profile

I get it also, about 1 in 10 uploads causes a kernel panic and the Mac to restart.
Running a 2012 MBP retina with 10.7.5 and an Arduino Micro.
I have a Futaba S148 standard servo connected to the Arduino.
Happens during uploading.
Power for both Arduino and servo is coming from the USB port.
No other USB devices connected.

Anything that can be done?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I get it also, about 1 in 10 uploads causes a kernel panic and the Mac to restart.
Running a 2012 MBP retina with 10.7.5 and an Arduino Micro.
I have a Futaba S148 standard servo connected to the Arduino.
Happens during uploading.
Power for both Arduino and servo is coming from the USB port.
No other USB devices connected.

Anything that can be done?

Try it without the servo wired up. If the problems go away it means your servo is drawing too much current from the arduino/usb port. Servos have motors and can be a real problem trying to run directly from arduino supplied power, most find they have to power their servo(s) from an independent +5vdc voltage source with more current capacity.

Lefty

View Profile

Thank you, will try that. Makes sense.
I will start powering the servo externally, not from the USB.

View Profile

It seems like a short in the arduino. But when an overload is drawn through apple usb ports an error message tells you so. Therefore you must have faulty apple hardware.

View Profile

Hi

This topic is quite old but i think someone can help me and maybe the topic can be useful to other users...

I have the same issue with IDE 1.0.5 and arduino UNO. Sometime when VERIFING  my MBP (late 2008)  reboots instantaneously.

I read that can be a power supply matter, but i think for me is different because it reboots when verifing...

Thanks  and sorry for my english

Bye

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi

This topic is quite old but i think someone can help me and maybe the topic can be useful to other users...

I have the same issue with IDE 1.0.5 and arduino UNO. Sometime when VERIFING  my MBP (late 2008)  reboots instantaneously.

I read that can be a power supply matter, but i think for me is different because it reboots when verifing...

Thanks  and sorry for my english

Bye
If it happens when verifying my guess would be CPU overheating.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Edison Member
View Profile

I've once had a machine not power up because of too much current deaw from usb.

Apply an external voltage via the dc barrel or straight into vin/5v on your arduino then try and upload a sketch... i'm thinking it might be a power supply issue..

(Ie... does the machine have issues from arduino's ide when viewing the serial data (which sends a reset pulse)

View Profile

This happens to me very often. I don't remember it ever happening with the Uno, but when uploading code to Leonardo, Micro or Yún my computer restarts quite often (roughly 1 in 10 uploads. Sometimes more frequently). So seems to be more common with the Leonardo type boards.

Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012 (non-retina)
2.7 GHz Intel core i7

EDIT: Just to clarify. Happens with brand new Arduinos without anything else connected to them.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: