Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: fiber optic transceiver  (Read 1395 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey guys, I have a micro board, and need to use the usb communications to a computer.  However I want the micro to be completely electrically isolated from the pc.  So I want to decouple using a fiberoptic transceiver.  Have any of you ever done this?  Also I need a very small form factor.  Just need something to point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

I haven't done exactly that but have designed fiber optic modems.
I used HFBR1414Z as the transmitter and a HFBR2412Z as the receiver.
http://www.avagotech.com/pages/en/fiber_optics/general_purpose_industrial_control_data_link_820nm/hfbr-2412z/
You obviously need 2 each of the above for RX &TX.
You can start by looking at the data sheets pages 11, 13 and 19

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up! That goes for me too.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hey guys, I have a micro board, and need to use the usb communications to a computer.  However I want the micro to be completely electrically isolated from the pc.  So I want to decouple using a fiberoptic transceiver.  Have any of you ever done this?  Also I need a very small form factor.  Just need something to point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

There is another way to isolate that by using a isolating USB device. Many different makers of these things.
http://keterex.com/kxusb150.php

This one has the advantage of being able to pass 400 ma of 5 volt power to the remote device which fiber optic cannot provide.

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:39:50 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

It occurs to me another way to optically isolate the Arduino from the PC would be to use a bluetooth or wifi radio device.

One way to use fiber is to use it as a network device.  Recently, I was curious and did a google search, and saw you could get low end ethernet->fiber converters for about $50 each.  Couple that with an ethernet shield should get you the connection.

The post BlinkIt in the exhibition gallery shows another way to communicate: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,140698.msg1057787.html, and presumably you could use it via a fiber optic cable if you could put a light sensor on the PC.

View Profile

Hey, thanks for the ideas about wireless.  I am doing this design work for someone else though, and the specs are usb to the pc.  I have seen a very small (<1") fiber optic transceiver in another setup.  two components were connected by a single fiber.  I will try to find the part number on the existing system I saw.  This is new territory for me... smiley-eek-blue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: