Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Using 4 AA Batteries To Power An Arduino Uno  (Read 4253 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a project that i want to have run on AC or DC power. I found a battery holder for 4 AA batteries. Can i hook the pack up to the Voltage in pin on the arduino to power the arduino uno?

Edison Member
View Profile

Yes.

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

No, if the batteries are rechargeable cells, such as NiMH, since you'd only have about
4 * 1.2V = 4.8V nominal. A "qualified" yes, if the batteries are alkaline, as then you'd
have 4 * 1.5V = 6V, which will work if the board has an LDO [low dropout] voltage
regulator. Better to get a battery holder for 6 cells instead.

Also, what do you mean run on AC power? That doesn't sound good.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yes.

No.

If you hook four new alkalines up to the vin pin you'll have over six volts going in there. Not good.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

What's the best way to power the arduino with batteries using the voltage in pin?

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Unfortunately there's a bit of a gap between the 5V needed by the USB/Vin pin and the 6-7V the voltage regulator is happy with. This leaves you with two options:

a) Six 1.5V batteries connected to the Arduino power plug.

b) Three 1.5V batteries and a DC booster circuit  ( eg. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=5v+dc+boost ) connected to the Vin pin.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Yes.

No.

If you hook four new alkalines up to the vin pin you'll have over six volts going in there. Not good.

OP asked about using four NiMH cells. You said No to using four new alkaline cells. So how about answering the OP's specific question.

NiMH batteries have replaced NiCd for many roles, notably small rechargeable batteries. NiMH batteries are very common for AA (penlight-size) batteries, which have nominal charge capacities (C) ranging from 1100 mA·h to 2800 mA·h at 1.2 V, measured at the rate that discharges the cell in five hours. Useful discharge capacity is a decreasing function of the discharge rate, but up to a rate of around 1×C (full discharge in one hour), it does not differ significantly from the nominal capacity.[4] NiMH batteries normally operate at 1.2 V per cell, somewhat lower than conventional 1.5 V cells, but will operate most devices designed for that voltage.

I would have no issue with powering an arduino board with four NiMH series connected cells attaching to the board via the USB connector by hacking an old spare USB cable.

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:40:31 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

OP asked about using four NiMH cells.

He didn't actually, Lefty: he asked about 4xAA and didn't say what type.

Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

View Profile

Could I connect the battery pack to the voltage in pin, or would I need to hack a USB cable and plug it into the USB in in the arduino?
Thanks for the help :-)

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

I would have no issue with powering an arduino board with four NiMH series connected cells attaching to the board via the USB connector by hacking an old spare USB cable.
Forget the USB cable, connect the batteries to the power jack. That's what it's for.
Use 6 cells, however, not 4.

Also, I don't understand lefty's comment, as he's got you connecting 4.8V to power a
5V regulator that requires at least 6V to operate properly. Not good.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Forget the USB cable, connect the batteries to the power jack. That's what it's for.
Use 6 cells, however, not 4.

Also, I don't understand lefty's comment, as he's got you connecting 4.8V to power a

No, I suggested wiring the 4.8vdc from the battery pack to the USB connector, but you somehow changed that to connecting it to the external power connector and then stated confusion of my idea.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

OP asked about using four NiMH cells.

He didn't actually, Lefty: he asked about 4xAA and didn't say what type.

Your right, it was replay #2 that suggested rechargeable NiMH cells which is a good choice.

Lefty

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

No, I suggested wiring the 4.8vdc from the battery pack to the USB connector, but you somehow changed that to connecting it to the external power connector and then stated confusion of my idea

Du-uh, still makes no sense. ??? How are you getting 5V onto the Arduino chip?

Ok, it's a trick question. He has a new 3.3V Arduino UNO board, right?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

No, I suggested wiring the 4.8vdc from the battery pack to the USB connector, but you somehow changed that to connecting it to the external power connector and then stated confusion of my idea

Du-uh, still makes no sense. ??? How are you getting 5V onto the Arduino chip?

Ok, it's a trick question. He has a new 3.3V Arduino UNO board, right?

Simple really. Take a spare USB cable, hack off the PC end, extract the USB +5vdc and ground wires, wire that to the 4.8vdc battery back, plug the usb cable into the arduino's USB connector. That way the battery pack will power the arduino board (any arduino board that has a USB connector) just like the PC does when you plug the board into your PC. Advantages, external power applied to the arduino board will still auto switch to the external power if desired at any time saving battery drain. battery pack will be protected by the arduino's on board 500ma thermofuse.

Is that clear enough?

Lefty

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:54:47 am by retrolefty » Logged

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

No, it's not at all clear. Are you saying the USB chip on the UNO board takes in 4.8V and
outputs 5V? If so, you could explain that part. Or are you saying you're gonna run the
Arduino chip off of the unregulated 4.8V coming in?

For my part, I don't want my Arduino chips running at any funny Vcc levels, so I prefer
using the 6 AA-cells as noted earlier, and applying to the power jack, so the Arduino is
running at 5V off the v.reg. Then, I know what the heck's going on.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: