Go Down

Topic: Array of functions (addressing multiple identical sensors) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Tom Carpenter

I've come up with the following, which compiles. Not sure if this is the right way to go, or if it's garbage.
Code: [Select]

Serial.begin(9600);
  for (int i=0; i<(maxDHT-1); i++) {
    Serial.print(i), Serial.print("\n");
    DHT aDHT(i, 11); //define a new DHT at pin i with type 11;
    myDHT[i]=&aDHT; // store pointer to aDHT in array myDHT at index i
  };

The problem with that code is that the aDHT instances go out of scope at the end of the for loop and so the array of pointers will become invalid.
~Tom~

ottehoman

Hmmm -- I think I see where you got your Karma from.
It looks like it compiles without errors, now I have this, which compiles without errors:

Code: [Select]

#include <Arduino.h>
#include <DHT.h>

const int maxDHT = 5;
DHT* myDHT[maxDHT]; // array of 5 pointers to DHTs
// DHT aDHT(1,11); // dummy DHT with pin 1 and Type 11
float temp, humid;

void setup(){
 Serial.begin(9600);
   Serial.print(i), Serial.print("\n");
   myDHT[i] = new DHT(i, 11); //define a new DHT at pin 11;
 };
};

void loop(){
   temp=myDHT[i]->readTemperature();
   humid=myDHT[i]->readHumidity();
   delay(2500);
   Serial.print(i), Serial.print(", T = "); Serial.print(temp); Serial.print("\n");
   Serial.print(i), Serial.print(", H = "); Serial.print(humid); Serial.print("\n");
 };
};

ottehoman

Addendum -

So... contrary to many posts on the web, 'new' *does* exist in avr-gcc (under Arduino-1.0.1 in my case). That makes things a lot easier. It seems the latest version does indeed compile, and code size seems to scale with maxDHT:

maxDHTBytes
n6056+2*n

Thanks for all your help, people!

O.

wildbill

So... contrary to many posts on the web, 'new' *does* exist

For a long time (prior to IDE version 1.0 I suspect), it didn't - hence the confusion caused by older discussions of the topic.

PeterH

Why are you using 'i<(maxDHT-1)' everywhere? If maxDHT is the number of DHTs then the condition should be 'i < maxDHT'. If it isn't, then perhaps you should be defining some other constant which is.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up