Go Down

Topic: Looking for $50 soldering iron. (Read 890 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I am looking for a decent soldering iron for PCB work around $50. My radioshack 30W iron is fine except the tip keeps wearing off. The thin layer of protection is too thin. The tip got eaten up by solder and I can't solder with it anymore. Every few months I have to buy another tip. I thought it might be their trick to have you come back to them all the time for not paying enough (the iron with a few tools was $8.99 and the tip was a few dollars!)

I know how to solder. My portable Weller iron never wears off its tips. It's well-built. Just open to recommendations before diving into catalogs. Thanks!

superKittens

zoomkat

and the tip was a few dollars

if you have to mail order tips, figure in the S&H $$$.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Docedison

@ Liudr, I found a Hakko 936 for $50.00 and I bought it. I got it from Electrodragon but I think they've sold out.
You might get lucky but if I had it to do over again I'd build one. The reason I didn't was that I found the schematic after I bought the iron.
The one I bought is a 220V version but with a step-up/isolation transformer I can use it on 120VAC and I gain an isolation transformer for my O'scope.
I do have a copy of the thermal controller schematic and it would be easy to duplicate as it only uses an LM358 and perhaps a dozen other parts.
The Irons can be found where ever and shouldn't cost more than $12.00. I bought a new one about a year ago for my old 907 (same 24V ac iron for all) and I've seen a few since then. If you have a 24V 3A transformer and an LM358 all you need really is the schematic and I just attached it to this post.
When I used that iron in production I think perhaps I bought 10 tips in 2 years and that was for four irons. Extremely long lasting.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up