Go Down

Topic: Looking for an Angle sensor (Read 6173 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

picture a solar panel pointed at the sun --- I would like the sensor to output that angle relative to horizonal (or vertical ) 

What I'm picturing is calling out for a simple potentiometer-based solution. Off hand I can't see why you would need anything more complex.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Good old ebay

found this today ~$7

http://www.geeetech.com/adxl345triple-axis-accelerometer-breakout-p-384.html

This ADXL345 is dynamic acceleration resulting from motion or shock, also well suited to measures the static acceleration of gravity in tilt-sensing applications.Its high resolution (4 mg/LSB) enables measurement of inclination changes less than 1.0°.

The price is good and the temperature limits are like -40 to 105 degrees C 

just have to figure out how to get the info  -- the link above includes a PDF Schematic data sheet and library

cool

Graynomad

That's a nice chip, I've used the ADXL335 before but it's got none of those features.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

majenko

I have a couple of the ADXL206HDZ chips here...

I got them as free samples from Analog Devices.  I looked them up the other day with a view to using them in a project.

I nearly fainted.  Newark list them at $711.25!!!

I went back to AD to try and get some more samples of them ... surprisingly they don't seem to be doing them as samples any more... :(

Graynomad

potentiometer-based solution.

I think a non-mechanical solution would be less prone to problem over the years. Also pots tend to require a lot of force to move, maybe a shaft encoder would be better.

I still like the accelerometer for this though.

______
Rob

That's a nice chip, I've used the ADXL335 before but it's got none of those features.

______
Rob

I don't understand I pulled that quote straight from the Analog data sheet

http://www.geeetech.com/Documents/ADXL345%20Datasheet.pdf

I thought of using a peduluum and pot thingy but my concern was reliability and longevity in a semi- protected environment with temperature swings

I hope this will work

Graynomad

______
Rob

amendis

Hi, I sell a few angle measuring sensors in my website that might help you, http://www.asquared.cc/products/me-ri-1-02 - have a few contact-less encoders based on hall-effect sensors.
All you need is to do is attach the magnet to the rotating shaft and have it near touching to the sensor, works like a charm.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy