Go Down

Topic: Arduino mini, pro mini power consumption (Read 25588 times) previous topic - next topic

tim7

The power LED draws about 0.2mA; the remainder is drawn by the regulator.

Lahorde

Hi,

Very interesting post.
Here is my contribution, I use an Arduino Mini powered at VCC Pin with 3,7V.
My consumption is about 2.4mA by using following sleep code :

Code: [Select]
void sleepPwrDown(uint8_t wdt_period) {
  wdt_enable(wdt_period);
  wdt_reset();
  WDTCSR |= _BV(WDIE);
  set_sleep_mode(SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN);
  sleep_enable();
  power_adc_disable();
  power_spi_disable();
  power_timer0_disable();
  power_timer1_disable();
  power_timer2_disable();
  power_twi_disable();
  sleep_mode();
  wdt_disable();
  WDTCSR &= ~_BV(WDIE);
}

Here are hardware schematics :
http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Dev/Arduino/Boards/Arduino-Pro-Mini-v13.pdf
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino_mini_schematic05.pdf

According to measures given previously for ProMini, consumption on Mini seems excessive.
Does it comes from
- 16Mhz ATmega 328 frequency?
- regulator? in both cases it is not used (on my Mini Arduino nothing is connected on 9V Pin)
-other circuitry?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

tim7

The power LED on the Arduino Mini is driven via a 1k resistor, whereas the ProMini has a 10k resistor.  That probably accounts for the difference.  To get really low power consumption you'll need to disconnect the LED and regulator.

Lahorde

Nov 22, 2013, 06:04 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2013, 06:20 pm by Lahorde Reason: 1
Tim7,

No more LED! 1K resistance does the difference, I decrease consumption of ~2mA ! No I'm below I'm in hundreds of µAmp domain!
Cheers

I'm doing the same experiments here with a pro mini and an nRF24l01 radio.

I'm also experimenting with a boost converter which will go from 0.9V to 5V in and give 5V out.

I have a 5v pro mini which means I have to waste some power with a 3.3v regulator for the radio. The PIR I have needs 5v so I can't go all 3.3v.

Running as standard I get 18mA on the pro mini and 15mA to the radio.

I tried moving the 5v input from RAW to VCC and actually saw an increase of just over 1mA so I will take a look at disabling the regulator and power leds next.

I took off the power led, powered the radio from a port pin and wake from power down when the PIR goes off, and got the power consumption down to 90uA in sleep. (this is still via the onboard regulator)

I have a boost converter attached to get 5V from a 1.5V battery (it will give 5V from 0.9v to 5V in) and with this attached I get a total power consumption of 470uA in sleep mode so the psu is taking 380uA to sit idle.

I does mean I can run off a single AA for quite a while (243 days) and they are a lot cheaper than 9V PP3 batteries. If I wanted a bigger finished unit, I could run everything off of 3XAA's for a very long time. (3 and a half years)

Ideally I would have a periodic transmission just to make sure the sensor is still going, so I guess 70mA for 150mS every minute maybe.

Lahorde

Hi,

Just other info... With my Arduino Mini, I had removed power LED and was sleeping in In SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN with ADC and brown out detector disabled
=> 438µA consumption @ 4.5V
now I removed regulator
=>5.5µA @4.5V

I used a useful library for putting ATmega328p in low power :
https://github.com/rocketscream/Low-Power

Lahorde

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy