Go Down

Topic: Algorithm to rotate data (Read 2543 times) previous topic - next topic

Krupski

Basic uses 1-based arrays.

I know that
Code: [Select]
90     get #1,c+b // read byte "offset + index"
But that's not an array - it's file, isn't it?

The "get" command gets one byte from the file pointer "1" at index "c+b" and stores it in the string variable "d$". Then, using "asc(d$)" gives me the value of the byte. For example, if the byte at file location 24 was the letter "A", I would get this:

* get #1, 24
* (now d$ == "A")
* asc(d$) == 65 (a.k.a. 0x41)

Let's say the first 8 bytes of the font file are 0x00, 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07.

The result would be:

fin(0) == 0
fin(1) == 1
fin(2) == 2
fin(6) == 6
fin(7) == 7

See? fin() in BASIC is the same thing as fin[] in C. At the top of the program where I do "dim fin(8)" is the same thing as "char fin[8];" in C.

Make sense?

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

johncc

Basic uses 1-based arrays.

I know that
Code: [Select]
90     get #1,c+b // read byte "offset + index"
But that's not an array - it's file, isn't it?

Ok, Basic uses 1-based random-access-files :)

AWOL

Makes a bit of sense, but all this swapping between zero and unity origin indexing is crazy.
Why isn't it consistent?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

johncc

Makes a bit of sense, but all this swapping between zero and unity origin indexing is crazy.
Why isn't it consistent?

That *is* a rhetorical question, right?

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeroAndOneBasedIndexes

AWOL

I think I'm beginning to understand Dijkstra's comments about BASIC and brain-damage   ]:D
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Krupski

I think I'm beginning to understand Dijkstra's comments about BASIC and brain-damage   ]:D

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." -- EwDijkstra
Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

dhenry

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." -- EwDijkstra

It is surprising that such an elitist view comes within the Arduino community, given that both Arduino / BASIC are largely motivated by dumbing down things for newcomers.

AWOL

I didn't realise Dijkstra was a member of this community, and given that he died over ten years ago, he must've been a pre-founding father.

PeterH

It is surprising that such an elitist view comes within the Arduino community, given that both Arduino / BASIC are largely motivated by dumbing down things for newcomers.

If you're familiar with Basic then I'm surprised that you're surprised that it is treated so scornfully.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Docedison

Jan 14, 2013, 12:38 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 12:51 am by Docedison Reason: 1
The Hardest thing I have to do is "Unlearn" what I learned to do in basic.. This, compounded by several years with Basic Stamps and the Picaxe and their severe limitations to finally drive me here to learn what a real, embeddable and useful controller can be and how to work with it as well.
Because of both my engineering background and my basic familiarity with basic as I wrote apps to run on a '386 from the command line with Micro$oft's PDS 7.1 and my later experience designing process controllers for the Irrigation industry (I specified and tested but did not write the Pic firmware)..
learning C and C++ has been a battle that I am slow to win but winning it I am.

Bob
{Edit RKJ}
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy