Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: toneAC - Twice the volume, higher quality and frequency Arduino tone library  (Read 2419 times)
Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The toneAC library is now available.

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tone-ac/downloads/detail?name=toneAC_v1.0.zip&can=2&q=

Here are the advantages over the standard tone library:
  • Nearly twice the volume (because it uses two out of phase pins in a push-pull manor)
  • Much higher quality (no clicking)
  • Capability of producing higher frequencies (even if running at a lower clock speed)
  • Nearly 2k smaller compiled code
  • Can set not only the frequency but also the tone volume (duty)
  • Less stress on the speaker so it will last longer and sound better

I tested it on an Uno and Teensy 2.0.  Making sure it works on the Mega and other boards would be helpful to know.  Enjoy!

The official development forum has been created and can be found here.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,142097.msg1066968.html

Further discussion should probably go there instead of with this thread.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:19:23 am by teckel » Logged

Arduino - Teensy - Raspberry Pi
My libraries: NewPing - LCDBitmap - toneAC - NewTone - TimerFreeTone

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile

Hi Teckel,

Cool. Like to see people digging way below the usual detail level of Arduino into the Atmel reality.

Fantasy:  At some Ultrasonic frequency there are TWO outputs of this type.  But the PHASE between those can be varied and they drive two separate Ultrasonic transducers.  There is one (maybe 2?) Ultrasonic transducer receivers.  Some kind of Phased Array technique allows not just distance but some spatial location information to be recovered from object(s) in front of the array.  Maybe.

About that Word:  I used to give some little talk called "Fantasy as an Engineering Design Tool" which was actually well received, even by Software types.  I once told a meeting at Perkin-Elmer Corp. that they had "A really nice Fantasy about this Deep-UV technique being applied to chip lithography". They were a little miffed. But later a couple guys told me they really understood, and that they fought with Management which wanted them to "Stop the Blue Sky Stuff" and Get To Work.

One great thing about Arduino is that most of us are not doing this stuff At Work...

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

Fantasy:  At some Ultrasonic frequency there are TWO outputs of this type.  But the PHASE between those can be varied and they drive two separate Ultrasonic transducers.  There is one (maybe 2?) Ultrasonic transducer receivers.  Some kind of Phased Array technique allows not just distance but some spatial location information to be recovered from object(s) in front of the array.  Maybe.

With the toneAC library you can also connect two piezo/speakers that will generate out of phase signals.  On the Uno, one tied to 9 and GND and the other tied to 10 and GND.  Both will produce the same frequency.  Not sure what exactly the volume (duty) will do.  If it will adjust the duty for each equally or opposite of each other.

One great thing about Arduino is that most of us are not doing this stuff At Work...

I'm trying to change that.  We have a new overhead audio marketing division and I'm trying to do the full design from hardware to software.  The difference in price from commercial options for hardware are making my proposal very interesting to the owner.  I can envision moving all my Arduino stuff out of my house and converting my office to a "tinker shed".  My wife would also appreciate it to get her house back.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:03:46 pm by teckel » Logged

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks, nice job.  This could come in handy.

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

Thanks, nice job.  This could come in handy.

I've modified a few projects to use toneAC and it was quite easy with obvious benefits.

Much higher sound output level was the primary reason for the library. But, saving 2k and being able to set the volume to a lower level has also come in really handy as well.

Tim

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: