Go Down

Topic: Powering My Servo (Read 406 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorril

I need some advice on powering my servo, I can't find a straightforward answer and I don't want to fry my uno.

My servo is the ls003 http://images.frys.com/art/rebates_pdf/7027241_tds.pdf

This operates at 4.2 or 5v and requires 100-500mA of current.

Now, for what I'm doing I already have the 5v pin occupied but the current draw is small enough I'm fairly certain it could run from an i/o pin if I needed to move it, so my first question is should I bother trying, can the 5v pin supply enough power for my servo? My power source is rated for 850mA. If not, is the best way to power it a 5v battery?

My second question is what current should I use for the signal wire? I don't see it listed in the specs so is it safe to assume it just needs the 5v?

I appreciate any advice.

JimboZA

Well it's not good practice to supply the servo with its 5v from the Uno, although of course you will be providing control through the servo yellow wire from an Uno IO pin.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at DuaneB's servo tutorial.....
No PMs for help please. Not active on this forum any more.

Chagrin

With just one or two small servos like you have it's not a risk of "frying" the Uno but rather causing power fluctuations on the board that will upset the microprocessor and cause it to reset. You won't wreck anything but you might get unreliable operation.

The servo's signal pin will use a very insignificant amount of current and is not a concern.

Go Up