Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Windows 7 and driver signing  (Read 2210 times)
Cornwall, UK
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

I am starting to lose the plot on this one.  I've got an Uno R3 and a Mega 2560 R3, and both are exhibiting the same problem: I cannot get Windows 7 (64 bit) to install the drivers. I know that the Arduinos are OK because I can access them using a Linux VM on the same Windows 7 machine, but the Windows machine itself won't connect to them.

I've tried all of the tips I can find online, I've turned off driver signing, everything I can think of, and it just will not work. The Arduino will be communicating with a .NET program on the PC, so I really need to get it working!

Any suggestions gratefully received while I still have some hair left!  TIA.

Germany
View Profile

look in device manager and search for the Arduino, this should be a question mark - unknown device
right click -> install driver manually.

worked for me on windows 8, 64bit

using Arduino Uno Rev 3

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've manually re-installed the drivers many times without success. It gets right through the install procedure, asks if I want to install an unsigned driver, I click OK, then when it completes it brings up a message saying that it couldn't install the driver because it wasn't signed.

Germany
View Profile

Try this
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-install-use-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-vista-7-x64.127187/
solution #2
if this doesn't work, I think I cannot help you, sorry.

using Arduino Uno Rev 3

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

solution #3
Try: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html smiley-grin it's automated, so if it still does not work, there is something bad with the system files / board

My website: http://ried.cl

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

Thanks eried and karlok. I've tried installing the enhanced IDE (solution 3) but it still says that there is a problem with installing the drivers because they are unsigned.

I admit I'm a bit reluctant to try 2 because the driver is a built-in Windows USB driver and I don't want to risk messing up my work PC!

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

OK, I can now get the driver to install if I disable Driver Signing Enforcement on boot-up smiley but it's broken again if I reboot normally.

Is there a way of making that driver install permanent? I don't want to have to press F8 and get into the boot menu every time I start Windows.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

That's weird, win 7 x64 should allow unsigned drivers with a warning. Can you try to find a setting for that behavior? like "allow unsigned drivers" but not that boot option, something in the control panel/PC properties.

My installer does not messes with anything, I don't like that too, the only thing I modify is the program files directory + PATH (but it is cleaned upon uninstallation)

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

That setting is not there by default in Windows 7 64-bit, I had to go into Windows\inf\sceregvl.inf and add stuff to enable it, but that doesn't make any difference.  I am currently trying to change the group policy to ignore unsigned driver errors.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

When I had win7 x64, if I allowed unsigned drivers I got this dialog: http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.9/USBDM_JMxx/html/UpdateDriverSoftware3.png so the option is somewhere in the Control panel. In win8 there is no option so I can't say where it is, maybe in the action center? or type  "unsigned" in the search

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

I get that dialog too, and I click on "Install anyway", but when it gets to the end of the install it comes up with  a box saying that it failed to install because the driver wasn't signed!

It's all very strange...

View Profile

I think they should do a sticky on this.

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

Is there something unique about this Windows 7 install that you haven't mentioned?
Is this a "corporate" image or something like that, with a group policy set to restrict unsigned drivers?

A standard install of Win7 x64 does not have this issue, other than the warning during the first install.
I use it on Win7 x64 all the time without the problem you describe.

The problem you describe, seems to indicate there is a policy setting that is enforcing this behavior.

LONDON UK
View Profile

i have had this when not signed in as administrator ,i guess you tried that?

Cornwall, UK
View Profile

It doesn't work as administrator, and I'm using a standard Windows 7 install.

Could removing SP1 from Windows 7 be the cause of the problem? I had to take it off as it broke ADO compatibility with desktop programs I develop.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: