Go Down

Topic: H Bridge ICs other than LMD18200 & L298 (Read 644 times) previous topic - next topic

jtw11

Jan 11, 2013, 05:36 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 06:08 pm by jtw11 Reason: 1
Hi all,

I've using an LMD18200T h-bridge in a design I'm working on, however - I'd like a little more headroom than the 3A continuous, and 6A 200ms peak capability offered. Plus, at .33ohm on resistance per switch, dissipating is a little high too.

I've had a look, but can anybody recommend, or know of an h-bridge ICs that will deliver around 5A continuous? I would build a bridge out of discrete, but I'm very tight on PCB space in this case...

Many thanks!

EDIT - I've just found this, a Freescale MC33887 - http://www.freescale.com/files/analog/doc/data_sheet/MC33887.pdf

Looks a little more promising, yet - in a little SOIC package!

oric_dan

Look at the parts used by Pololu on the h-bridge boards.

jtw11

Look at the parts used by Pololu on the h-bridge boards.

...wow - 14A continuous through those tiny SMD parts! Thanks!

MarkT

Most of the "continuous" ratings assume mega-heatsinking - watch out for that.  Find the Rds(on) values for the bridge and
calculate the heat dissipation (remember two devices are on at once).

Alas there seems to be a big gulf between the performance of discrete MOSFETs and ones integrated into bridge ICs.  Lots of
bridge ICs quote 0.2 to 0.3ohms or so, discrete SOIC/Dpak/TO220 MOSFETs of 0.01ohm or better are easy to find.  This is
presumably because discrete FETs are vertical current flow.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

jtw11

Jan 12, 2013, 12:48 am Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013, 01:16 am by jtw11 Reason: 1

Most of the "continuous" ratings assume mega-heatsinking - watch out for that.  Find the Rds(on) values for the bridge and
calculate the heat dissipation (remember two devices are on at once).

Alas there seems to be a big gulf between the performance of discrete MOSFETs and ones integrated into bridge ICs.  Lots of
bridge ICs quote 0.2 to 0.3ohms or so, discrete SOIC/Dpak/TO220 MOSFETs of 0.01ohm or better are easy to find.  This is
presumably because discrete FETs are vertical current flow.

I'm only really drawing ~ 2.5A, but I didn't want to be operating so close to the line so to speak...

I have found this too re the difference in discrete vs packaged resistances, the LMD18200T had RDSon of 0.33ohms per switch, ouch! However, the ST Micro VMJ2SP30 bridge has a proper RDSon value, 19mOhm - and yes, that device has vertical flow FETs in it like you say. A very neat IC indeed!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy