Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: as3glue broadcasting to several arduinos  (Read 248 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

Me and some friends are developing an art installation using a kinect to detect user movements and then making several arduinos to react to it, DIFFERENTLY.
We are still configuring a Xbee to dispatch a broadcast signal from the kinect using the Flash as3Glue library but we are antecipating a big big problem: how can we make each of the Arduinos receiving the Xbee broadcast signals to react differently, since they all are using the same "Standard Firmata" ?

The scenario is like this:
If I raise my right arm, the kinect detects it and the as3Glue library sends a signal to the Xbee that will dispatch it wirelessly to all Arduinos, each one reacting in a way. Turning a light, turning a motor, etc, etc.

It is my first time dealing with Arduino. Can you guys give me tips about how to accomplish that? Should I start to try to hack the Firmata to react differently to the signal? I would like to avoid that, since I am not that good with Arduino language.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile

no tips? smiley-sad

London
Edison Member
View Profile

The scenario is like this:
If I raise my right arm, the kinect detects it and the as3Glue library sends a signal to the Xbee that will dispatch it wirelessly to all Arduinos, each one reacting in a way. Turning a light, turning a motor, etc, etc.

It is my first time dealing with Arduino. Can you guys give me tips about how to accomplish that? Should I start to try to hack the Firmata to react differently to the signal? I would like to avoid that, since I am not that good with Arduino language.

Arduinos are PROGRAMMABLE! It doesn't matter that they all receive the same signal if they're programmed to respond to it in different ways.
Using your example, if you raise your right arm one can turn a red light on, another can turn a blue light off and a third can flash a green light on and off. If you raise your left arm then the first one can turn the red light off, the second can turn the blue light on and the third can make the green light steady. The signals to each arduino will be the same, what each one does with the signal will be different.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Arduinos are PROGRAMMABLE!
Not when running StandardFirmata. Then, they are just little idiots, waiting to be told what to do. Telling 10 idiots to do the same thing, and then expecting each of them to do something different is insane.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: