Go Down

Topic: ATX Power Supply with a motor controller? (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

Hichame

As the title, my question is if i can use an ATX power supply with my circuits? I've read that on the +5 line it sends in output 30A or 2A, this can damage the circuits?

dhenry

if i can use an ATX power supply with my circuits?

Yes.

JimboZA

I've read that on the +5 line it sends in output 30A or 2A, this can damage the circuits?

Power supplies don't "send" their current, the consuming device "draws" what it needs*. So a device using say 1A will not be overwhelmed by a say 30A supply; but you would be able to run 30 of them!

Have a look at Instructables for some instructions on hacking an ATX PSU.... this is a good one.

I'm converting one this very week... haven't done the fancy work yet- terminal posts etc- but have tested it. I currently have 3 servos running from 5v, and I hacked a USB-B cable which I've wired in to 5v too and that serves as a dedicated cable to our Uno.

*Disclaimer... that's the way I understand it, anyhoo. Your mileage may vary, E&OE....
meArm build blog:     http://jimbozamearm.blogspot.com/

Hichame

I've tried with the +5 line, it works perfectly!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy