Go Down

Topic: What does this mean? (Read 605 times) previous topic - next topic

InduinoX

digitalWrite(13, on ? HIGH : LOW);

It was in the IRrelay example.What does the ? do and the : with both LOW & HIGH.

Arrch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%3F:#C.2B.2B

It's the functional equivelent to this:

Code: [Select]
if (on)
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
else
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);

guix

Jan 13, 2013, 05:09 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 05:11 pm by guix Reason: 1
on is probably a boolean (either true or false) or an int either 1 or 0, so it is equivalent to:

digitalWrite(13, on);

PeterH

on is probably a boolean (either true or false) or an int either 1 or 0, so it is equivalent to:

digitalWrite(13, on);

That code makes the assumption that HIGH and LOW are the same values as true and false. It just happens to be so in this case, but as a general rule it's best to avoid making that sort of assumption - the original implementation is preferable IMO.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

AWOL

That code makes the assumption that HIGH and LOW are the same values as true and false.

I don't think it does.
Last time I looked at the source of digitalWrite, it very specifically incorporated the C convention of zero / non-zero as meaning LOW / HIGH.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

dhenry

What does the ? do and the : with both LOW & HIGH.

If variable "on" has any value other than 0, set the pin. Otherwise (when "on" is 0), clear the pin.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy