Go Down

Topic: Message sent via Wifi signal that smartphones can detect (Read 2220 times) previous topic - next topic

3LFM4N

I want to make an App that is automatically triggered when the user walks in range of wireless signal..

I'm doing a project about level crossing safety, and I only want this signal to broadcast when a train is approaching - also to save battery life.

So i'll use 2 wireless sensors on the track, first is triggered by the train and then turns device on that will broadcast the signal to users phones.

The 2nd wireless sensor turns the broadcasting off.

What set up do I need to send this Wifi signal?

PaulS

What set up do I need to send this Wifi signal?

The WiFi shield (the official one, anyway) only allows the Arduino to connect to an existing WiFi network. It does NOT allow the Arduino to CREATE a WiFi network.

3LFM4N

Hey guys, I have no knowledge in programming etc and I need your help.

I'm doing a project on level crossing safety for pedestrians.

I want to make a device that is turned on and off by 2 wireless sensors (when a train passes)

When the device is ON, it will broadcast a message wirelessly (i'm guessing it needs to be via Wifi) to the app on the users smartphone.

Now I don't want the device to do anything fancy - just a simple message to activate the App when in range.

What components do I need to build this device? thank you, Jon

3LFM4N

Instead of Wifi then, is there any other ways I could send a message wirelessly?

PaulS

is there any other ways I could send a message wirelessly?

Plenty of them. That an iPhone or other generic phone can receive? No.

You could have the Arduino be a web server (wearing an ethernet shield). Any smartphone with browser could connect to the web server.

That won't happen because a phone comes in range, though.

3LFM4N

thank you

hmmm

what if the message was sent via ad-hoc network,
could I make an App that would automatically connect to a specific ad-hoc network when in range?

PaulS

could I make an App that would automatically connect to a specific ad-hoc network when in range?

Possibly, but that ad-hoc network will not be created by the Arduino.

Coding Badly

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy