Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: RTuinOS: A Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for Arduino 1.0.1  (Read 18780 times)
Sanger, Texas, USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Peter,
Reading your last post has saddened me - no current support for 32 bit architecture.
I was happy to see that you added semaphore elements as that is essential for inter-process (think thread) communications.
The Arduino DUE is the processor of my choice mainly due to (1) higher speed, (2) larger available memory, (3) more digital pins.
Having to wait for the Arduino world to catch up to Linux level of threading brings tears to my eyes.
I can get Linux already on the Beagle Bone, but the I/O pins structure is much more restrictive.
Oh for a Linux on the DUE, the the world would happier for me.
Of course the Linux DUE will need to have 2GB of Flash in addition to 512 MB of RAM.  The flash means the OS and your program can boot without need of a kludgy micro SD card.
My candle is rapidly burning down to the point of choosing the product hardware with the compelling need of an multi-threading OS so I can implement waitless read-and-continue and write-and-continue operations.

View Profile

What do you think about Raspberry Pi, which seems to be even somewhat cheaper than the Due?

View Profile

With avr-gcc 4.7.2 in Mint 16 I get the following results:

make -s APP=tc01 build
(...)
Compiling debug code
Linking project. Ouput is redirected to bin/tc01/DEBUG/RTuinOS_tc01.map
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--fatal-warnings’
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--no-undefined’
avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--reduce-memory-overheads’
make: *** [bin/tc01/DEBUG/RTuinOS_tc01.elf] Error 1

echo $?

I've searched but found none, anyone knows what is going on?

[Edit] Same problem with Ubuntu 14.04
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:13:18 am by vp1942 » Logged

View Profile

Hello,

Unfortunatley I can't reproduce your problem as I have a different system (Windows, avr-gcc 4.3.2), which obviously doesn't have this problem.

A basic, general tip: Run the same build command without the -s; the actually used compiler and linker command lines will become apparent in the console output and if you compare them with the online help of these tools you might get a step ahead. Then copy the critical command line and enter them directly in the shell to see if you can reproduce the same error. If so, you can start manipulating the command line until you get the linker succeesfully run or let it at least print more meaningful messages.

If the printed error messages were literally correct all you'd to do is to remove the three options from the command line; none of them is essential. (Although it could indeed be just a matter of differences in the linker interface of our two versions, I don't really believe so. I'd rather guess that the reported problem is a subsequent fault and that you will have to find the true problem.)

Given, you've found a properly working linker command line it's straight forward to change the makefiles so that they adopt your findings. Open file makefile/compileLinkAndUpload.mk and change the definition of variable lFlags. Look for "Linking project".

And please let us know ...

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. Please note, that this topic refers to the first release of RTuinOS (0.9). Meanwhile, version 1.0 has been released. If you still work with the first release, the first thing you should do is to download, install and try the current revision. Please visit http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=184593.0 to get more information
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:20:04 pm by Peter Vranken » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: