Go Down

Topic: RGB Led Cube 10x10x10 (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

hey101

I will start off saying that I am a complete noob when it comes to electronics. I am good at programming but I just started with electronics. I have created a very small 2x2x2 led cube that demonstrates multiplexing with some very basic visualizations. I also made two RGB Led's synched to music and also iPhone controlled. I don't know too much but any kind of programming I can handle if I get some sort of base point as a reference. My roommates and I wanted to make a 10x10x10 RGB LED Cube. I understand it will be a TON of work, but it will teach us a lot about electronics. I have looked online at various places and seen what people have written about them and their progress. I wanted to know if anyone has some good references to look at, or any schematics or circuits for a 10x10x10 RGB LED cube as it would be easier to follow what someone else has done. Unfortunately I can only find details about an 8x8x8. Any help is appreciated.
I may be a noob but I do have the determination and will power to actually learn how to make this. If I am given any references or circuits, I do look at them and study to figure out how they work. Just for this project, it is difficult when you aren't sure where to start. 

Thanks,
hey101

johnwasser

I would start with checking out all the 8x8x8 RGB cubes like this one:
http://v3spin.blogspot.com/2010/06/8x8x8-rgd-led-cube-controlled-with.html

And then just expand the design to 10x10.  Easy!  :)
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

hey101

I found this for an RGB 8x8x8: http://www.hownottoengineer.com/projects/rgb-led-cube.html
He decided to use STP16 chips and software to handle the pwm instead of going with the TLC5940. Would that be a better option or which would allow for smoother transitions in the animations?

johnwasser

Since it is easy to SINK current with an NPN transistor or N-Channel MOSFET it makes sense to use Common Cathode LEDS and SOURCE drivers.  Then you can SOURCE 20 mA of power from each of 300 output pins and SINK the 6A (300 anodes * 20 mA each) for each layer with a single transistor.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

hey101

Since it is easy to SINK current with an NPN transistor or N-Channel MOSFET it makes sense to use Common Cathode LEDS and SOURCE drivers.  Then you can SOURCE 20 mA of power from each of 300 output pins and SINK the 6A (300 anodes * 20 mA each) for each layer with a single transistor.

What would a basic setup for this be so I can learn and then possibly scale it up? Also and NPN transistor supplies current through it once I apply the voltage to the gate one it, correct? Does a MOSFET do the same?

Go Up