Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Error Message: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x0"  (Read 1988 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

We are trying to upload our programming from the Tools/Servo/Sweep directory and we keep receiving the error message: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". What are we doing wrong, and how do we get the servo to spin. We have the red wire connected to the 5V pin, the black connected to one of the ground pins, and the white to the 9 pin. We have an Arduino Uno and a Radio Shack standard Servo. Quicker the answer, the better. Thanks!

Temple, Texas
View Profile

Has it ever worked?  -- Or, are you trying to get it to work for the first time.

What version of the IDE (1.0.2?)

Is it a new Uno "R3"  (says on the board)?

I haven't seen this problem in a while but back when I did it was either a driver install problem (shouldn't be a problem with the newest boards), or just a Windows/Usb issue, which needed something like:

1. Unplug Arduino from USB.
2. Exit Arduino IDE.
3. Wait until the device doesn't show up any more in Windows (5-10 seconds, depending how fast the computer is)
4. Plug the board back in, wait for the device to show up in Windows.
5. Launch the Arduino IDE.
6. Try uploading.

And/or try PC reboot between steps 3 and 4.

Good luck!
John

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

There is a whole forum section for Troubleshooting. The most likely thing wrong is that you have not selected the correct board type to upload to. The Arduino IDE pointed you to a whole section on troubleshooting. Whining on the forum is about 437th on the list. By the time you get there, you should know what information you need to provide.

View Profile

John,
It's brand new. We haven't used it before. The IDE is 1.0.3; the board appears to be just an "Uno," no R3.
The steps you gave didn't work.
I just noticed that it appears the drivers aren't installed. Do you have any advice on how to get those?

Thanks

Temple, Texas
View Profile

Did you do the driver install under step four at http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows?

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

smiley-cool quickest solution you can get: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html (double click, next, next kinda installer)

My website: http://ried.cl

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

We are trying to upload our programming from the Tools/Servo/Sweep directory

I suspect you mean File/Examples/Servo/Sweep but that's of course not the root of your problem, but just a reminder to try and be accurate when you try and share your problems and what you see as results or errors.

From a arduino IDE boards selection point of view, all Uno boards are of type Uno regardless of their age/revision number.

And yes it sounds like a driver installation problem. Normally we ask a series of questions like:

Does the PC acknowledge that a new USB device has been detected by making a bing-bong sound when you plug your arduino into the PC? If not fix the driver problem. If so unplug the board, open the arduino IDE and click on Tools/Serial Ports and note the COM port numbers that are listed if any, as these will NOT be your arduino board. Close the IDE, plug in your Uno and then reopen the IDE and again check the Tools/Serial Ports to see if a new COM port number not displayed before is offered, if so that is the Serial Port number you must select (along with the board selection of type Uno) before a sketch upload can work successfully.

On the topic of servos, they can be very problematic if you are trying to power the servo from the arduino 5V shield pin, they tend to draw too much current for the board to handle. However if the servo is a small one and has no mechanical load attached to it, you might get away with powering just one, but with many servos even one is too many. So best to power the servos with a separate +5vdc power source, 4 AA batteries in series will work, but be sure to also add a wire from the battery negative terminal to an arduino ground pin.

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:17:00 pm by retrolefty » Logged

France
View Profile

Hello,

Just got the same problem, with an old duemilanove.
It start doing so after uploading a buggy sketch that I try to debug.
The on-board led flash fast and reset button is no use.

but I could reflash the board with pressing the upload button just after the usb cable was plugged. I's a bit tricky to achieve cause too early the com does not exist, and too late the bootloader started up the buggy sketch.

Maybe it could help.

Mgth : ArduixPL http://www.mgth.fr

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hello,

Just got the same problem, with an old duemilanove.
It start doing so after uploading a buggy sketch that I try to debug.
The on-board led flash fast and reset button is no use.

but I could reflash the board with pressing the upload button just after the usb cable was plugged. I's a bit tricky to achieve cause too early the com does not exist, and too late the bootloader started up the buggy sketch.

Maybe it could help.

A simpler and less dramatic method is to press and hold down the reset button, plug the board in, then load a sketch and press upload, and when you first see the receive led start to blink release the reset button. That should get the bootloader talking to the IDE.

Lefty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: